Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: scsi - ide question  (Read 4582 times)

badshape

scsi - ide question
« on: August 15, 2004, 10:59:31 AM »
Hello all,
This might be a no brainer for some, but here goes:

I had a SCSI HD installed, it got infected and I could no longer logon to windows(xp) it would hang up just after entering my password. Task Manager had winlogon using 100% of my processors so I could'nt get anything else running. (Except TM in safe mode.) After a while it would just blue screen me and restart. So I went out and bought a new HD (IDE). The IDE is my main drive but for some reason I cannot see the SCSI HD anymore. It has quite a few important files that I have to recover.

Any help would be greatly appreciated... It's a Dell Precision 410

Thanks

merlin_2

badshape

Re: scsi - ide question
« Reply #2 on: August 15, 2004, 01:28:43 PM »
Thanks but that article read more like XP wasn't installing...

I have installed it on the IDE drive and then after getting running, I re-installed the physical SCSI drive as well...

I wanted to access it, remove the files I need, then reformat it to use as additional space... But my machine is not showing the drive...

merlin_2

« Last Edit: August 15, 2004, 01:53:07 PM by merlin_2 »

badshape

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 02:16:26 PM »
Actually, after I atarted looking for references to IDE Ports and adapters, somewhere in the MS help centerwas a reference to a program called "Rescan1."

"The Rescan sample program, which is provided through this article, can be used to enumerate all available SCSI adapters on the system and initiate bus rescan. This will find new devices that have been added to the bus since the previous bus scan."

I downloaded it and ran it and nothing happened. But I had to restart to check something elso out and there it was... just sitting there waiting for me...

I got what I needed off of it and am currently formatting it. It was in pretty bad shape, stuff I've never heard of nor downloaded was everywhere...

Thanks, because of your response, I had to dig a little on my own and found a solution... the best kind of help...

Computer_Commando

« Reply #5 on: August 15, 2004, 05:33:40 PM »
I had the same situation, SCSI drive was recognized by Win2k, but not by WinXP on my triple boot system.  Both Device managers showed properly operating SCSI card (Adaptec w/bootable BIOS).  Never figured it out and finally removed SCSI.  It didn't matter whether SCSI was bootable or not.