Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer help, restarts by itself  (Read 2787 times)

compdoof

Computer help, restarts by itself
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:43:19 PM »
Lately, my computer has been acting up. Whenever I'd play a game (in this case, World of Warcraft) after about 5 or 10 minutes, the whole computer would just crash. It would restart and boot back up. After trying many things to try and stop it from happening, I finally uninstalled the game and reinstalled it. This solved my problem for about 3 days but then things went back to the way it was. I tried uninstalling it, but everytime i try to reinstall it, about half way through (if that), the computer crashes. Sometimes a beeping noise occurs that usually means that it's about to shut down.

No error message at all displays when the computer shuts down, even though I've already disabled the automatic restart in Control Panel.

Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Note that I'm not too knowledgable with computers, so if there are any specific directions that apply to your suggestions, please describe where I should go or what to do in order to do these actions.

I'm not sure what to put down for system specs, cause I know that they're required for such assistance, so I'll just copy what I have in my System folder:

Windows XP Home
AMD Athlon(tm) XP 2400+
2.00 GHz, 512 MB of RAM

Thanks in advance.

Kalmari

Re: Computer help, restarts by itself
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:23:49 PM »
I had the same problem..I don't know how to fix it but restored my computer to how it was when I first bought it and that fixed it..sorry I dont have any other solution  :-/

compdoof

« Reply #2 on: January 31, 2006, 07:29:17 PM »
If I have no choice, I may have to do that. But I share a computer with 6 other people, and they probably wouldn't like it if I erased everything on it. Thanks for the reply though.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
« Reply #3 on: February 01, 2006, 09:28:18 AM »
Very hard to diagnose this kind of a problem.  Personally I would find it easier to backup my files and reinstall then try and fix the problem.  It could be virus related, but equally it could be due to mangled/inappropriate drivers, or due to a hardware problem, etc., etc.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

GX1_Man

« Reply #4 on: February 01, 2006, 04:52:36 PM »

compdoof

« Reply #5 on: February 01, 2006, 05:40:45 PM »
I actually got one of those "Blue Screens of Death" the last time my computer restarted. The results that showed were as follows:

0000009c, parameter1 00000000, parameter2 8054d370, parameter3 c4104000, parameter4 00000136.

Not sure if that means anything or not, but I just thought I'd share.

Thanks for the tips page GX1_Man, I'll try those in a little bit to see if any help.

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 05:42:22 PM »
Keep us posted!  ;)

compdoof

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 07:03:53 PM »
The only one of them I haven't tried looking at before is the drivers thing. I did the scan and it came up that only 71% of the drivers are "good drivers". I tried to manually update the "bad drivers" myself, but the results say that I have the best ones already installed. Not sure what that's supposed to mean. I'm not gonna join that site and fork up $30 just to get a few drivers, which probably isnt even my problem in the first place.

Any other ideas? The error that came up in my blue screen must mean something, I just dont know what.

compdoof

« Reply #8 on: February 01, 2006, 10:22:15 PM »
*censored*, I've tried like everything I can think of. I think my only choice is to clear my computer and start fresh. Is there any way to keep my files and stuff if I were to do this? Do I really need to have some sort of disk or CD that came with the computer? Cause I don't think I have one. If someone could explain the steps, or give me a link to where I could find out, that would be great.

Not to sound like a junkie, but I don't know how much longer I can survive without being able to play World of Warcraft :P. It became my obsession since the day I got it just over a month ago.

EDIT: I found a page that relates to my error:

http://support.microsoft.com/?kbid=329284&sd=RMVP

According to the site, this is an unrecoverable error that i have. Does this really mean that there's no hope for my computer? I have no idea what I could've possibly done to the computer to make it turn out this bad.
« Last Edit: February 01, 2006, 10:44:48 PM by compdoof »

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 02, 2006, 04:17:17 AM »
www.driverguide.com tog et whatever you need free!  :D

Login: drivers
Password: all

compdoof

« Reply #10 on: February 02, 2006, 07:58:05 PM »
I have no way of knowing what drivers I need, so there's not much I can really do with that site. I did the Free Registry Repair, and it scanned my computer totalling the number of things need to be repaired of up to about 800. Unfortunately, the free version only repairs 15 of these. If I was certain that this was my problem, than I'd easily fork over the money to get the rest fixed, but it's just too risky.

Thanks again for the help, but I still think a full System Recovery is my only choice. Would buying a flash drive be a smart idea so I can save a bunch of files that I don't want deleted?