Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer isn't starting  (Read 2030 times)

mead5000

Computer isn't starting
« on: January 31, 2006, 04:58:47 PM »
My desktop computer isn't starting up.  I have tried reseting it by holding in the buttons, tried plugging it into other outlets.  It trys to power on and the fan starts for almost a second and shuts off. you can't hear the hard drive kick on.  I tried to reset the cmos but can't remember how to do it with the three pins by my internal battery.  It is my dads computer and i'm not sure how this started or what he was doing.  Thank you.

ville01

Re: Computer isn't starting
« Reply #1 on: January 31, 2006, 07:42:47 PM »
Hi there... I am having a similar problem but mine is a bit worse. No fan or anything. I shut down the computer afte some updates were installed. I have not been able to turn the computer on since! Power button does nothing. I have tried holding it down (for a reset). I have done the same as the previous Newbie, and unplugged it, plugged it in elsewhere, but the power strip it is on is working fine and everything else is getting power. On the back of the unit, the green LED is not on. If I fiddle with the power cord plugged into the unit, the green light flickers (barely, thats the only life I see out of it!). The only other thing I can think of, and I dont even know if this is POSSIBLE, is the power cord, could it have fried? Should I try replacing it, or can anyone think of anything else?
Thank you so much!!