Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Early Black Friday Deals  (Read 6734 times)

Nick001

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Beginner
    Early Black Friday Deals
    « on: November 19, 2020, 09:13:02 AM »
    Hello there,

I want to buy a VPN for streaming and gaming. I have shortlisted these VPNs. What's your opinion about these:
    - Pure VPN 86% off on 10 devices for 5 years.
    - Nord VPN 68% off for 2 years.
    - Express VPN 35% off for 1 year only.

TIA

Nick001

Topic Starter

Starter

Re: Early Black Friday Deals
      « Reply #1 on: November 27, 2020, 10:47:51 AM »
      Does PureVPN work on routers? Does anyone have any experience?

Pratchett

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
        « Reply #2 on: November 28, 2020, 08:53:19 AM »
        I am with Nord signed a two year deal to get the best price.  Black Friday deals with Nord are a bit of a con as they offer the same massive discount all year round.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        « Reply #3 on: November 28, 2020, 11:38:32 AM »
        VPNs as a form of security or privacy protection are a joke. Most products that have to meet sales quotas by hiring spammers to babble about it on random forums are.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Nick001

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: November 30, 2020, 11:39:53 AM »
          VPNs as a form of security or privacy protection are a joke. Most products that have to meet sales quotas by hiring spammers to babble about it on random forums are.
          Leave this purevpn, surfhshark, express or whatever top-notch VPN. If VPN is not a form of security then Cisco, Google, Norton, Facebook, avast, and many other security flag shipped companies wouldn't have VPN as a product.

I asked for advice/opinion about the VPNs. Don't remember, if I asked for blaming or negative criticism. If you don't know anything or don't have any value to add here then do yourself a favor and don't reply here.

glathem40

Intermediate
          • Bytor_Snowdog
            • Experience: Familiar
            « Reply #5 on: November 30, 2020, 03:09:34 PM »
            @Nick001,
            Did you happen to notice BC_Programmer has been a member of this forum for over 13 years, has over 20,000 posts, and has been personally thanked 1,126 times?
            He has offered sage advice, but then again, companies are free to offer goods and services with no real value and consumers are free to purchase said products.
            « Last Edit: November 30, 2020, 03:19:38 PM by glathem40 »
            If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
              • Yes
              • Yes
              • BC-Programming.com
            « Reply #6 on: November 30, 2020, 03:37:50 PM »
            VPN's are not a form of security; They are a way of remotely accessing a remote network. For example I connect to my work through a VPN which allows me to access intranet sites and servers as if my PC was connected to that network. There are many legitimate vendors who offer this sort of VPN product. This is what Cisco's product is.

That companies provide VPN services as a product unto themselves, and effectively allow you to use their network as your remote gateway is not evidence that doing so provides added security benefits. It is often only evidence that they can make money doing so. Google and Facebook in particular have a lot to gain  from having people route all their internet traffic through servers that are under their control.

There are "companies" that offer car crash protection services which comprise of them gluing crystals to your steering wheel. That does not make it a legitimate protection mechanism and doesn't mean they aren't going to turn your airbag into a fragmentation grenade.

many VPN services make quite grandiose claims; That they provide added security, ensure your privacy,  protect you from malware, and so on. None of these are true.

Here is a great write up that pretty much reflects my perspective on VPN Services. The "Remote proxy" approach has legitimate use cases but their benefits have been snake-oiled quite successfully by innumerable VPN Service providers.

My main point though was that people join forums like this for problems like their system being unable to start, they are having drive problems, maybe they can't find a program to do something specific. The idea that somebody would join a computer help forum because they need help basically choosing from one of these great deals is fantastic and just makes me read the post like it's a Robert Ray "Price is Right" prize reveal.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
              • Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #7 on: November 30, 2020, 04:12:27 PM »
              I'm afraid this old fart --- me --- is getting confused.

I thought NortonLifeLock was a company with a good reputation in this business of Net security and this is what they have to offer on this topic:

How secure is a VPN? What makes a safe VPN?

The 9th paragraph down that page the link above takes you to and under the heading of "What factors create a safe VPN? I see a sentence that makes a very good point:

Simply put, choosing the right VPN for you might mean paying for one, if you value your online privacy.

And I state that I am confused because I didn't think that there was a "joke" about the use of a VPN when one is trying to upgrade their security, but the point the NortonLifeLock folks make about the correlation between security and money a person is willing to spend on that security is a valid point, don't you think?

Well, I guess you don't, do you?

You stated in your most recent post in this thread that none of the claims made by companies about added security or added privacy when using a VPN is true.  Maybe I better add that here in a quote format:

many VPN services make quite grandiose claims; That they provide added security, ensure your privacy,  protect you from malware, and so on. None of these are true.

Yep, this old fart --- me --- is mighty confused.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                • Yes
                • Yes
                • BC-Programming.com
              « Reply #8 on: November 30, 2020, 05:37:31 PM »
              Norton offers a paid for VPN. Using then as a source for accurate information about how necessary a VPN is is like reading an article about Starfrit about how important an Apple Peeler is. It's going to be a biased source.

Point is, they sell a paid for VPN. They aren't going to write copy that basically goes "yeah you don't need it". the copy is going to do it's best to sell their product.

A VPN has ONE purpose- allow a system to connect securely over the internet and appear as part of a local area network. VPN = Virtual Private Network.

VPN Services misuse this technology in order to sell a product for a purpose to which I argue it is ill-suited.

1. Security

As stated, many VPN services will claim that using a VPN Service will make the customer's system more secure. But there is no real basis for that argument. The best argument for security on a home system would be that the VPN tunnel is typically encrypted up to the remote gateway (the VPN Server). But that doesn't actually improve your security- it just means trusting their ISP instead of yours. Alternatively, a real case could be made for say using a public wifi network, but I'd argue the real solution to making that more secure is to not using them in the first place. After all, VPN or not, your system is still connected to the open, untrusted network.

2. Privacy

Aside from the considerations at the end of my previous paragraph, VPNs don't help much for privacy. The usual angle that VPN providers argue is that they "mask" or "cloak" your IP address. That is true. But your IP address is not private information. Websites can and do still identify you via their typical browser fingerprinting, making that whole "privacy" argument moot, since they can still track your browsing using the fingerprint. VPN providers , curiously, don't really mention this rather important piece of information. Though they will often harp on about cloaking and hiding your IP address or how you can have an "IP Address leak". Sometimes the IP Address copy goes into it being somehow beneficial for security as well.

3. Malware

A compromised website isn't suddenly unable to exploit a browser flaw to perform a drive-by download because your VPN Provider worked tirelessly to prevent "IP leaks" or because you have their super "safeguard Deluxe Shields" plugin or whatever. it doesn't prevent the system from being compromised through trojan horse malware. It doesn't even prevent software from finding your "real" IP Address in that case either, since all it has to do is enumerate all the network adapters.

Whether the benefits are non-existent or negligible except in certain specific instances, they are advertised as 'general purpose" things that everybody (apparently) is supposed to have to "remain secure". But the fact of the matter is that a system will see a manyfold increase in Security, Privacy, and malware prevention beyond what any VPN provider could ever provide by simply disabling Javascript in the browser.

It is true that some companies people consider reputable are running VPN providers. But personally I feel that is like if an otherwise legitimate corporation started to send 419 scam E-mails. It doesn't legitimize the scam, it just damages their reputation for being involved.

It's not difficult to start a VPN Provider. It's almost a money-making scheme. Pay for a VPS, install the open source Open VPS software... Boom, you've got a VPN service. Now sell access to it and you are a VPN provider. Maybe choose some animal name. Like- ElephantVPN or TunnelRhino or KoalaNet or some other random crap. Now promise everybody you don't keep logs, that you are private and secure, pay for advertisements and sponsor some random youtubers to metaphorically suck you off to their audience and watch the money roll in. And when it is inevitably discovered that you keep logs or harvest private information, just shut down your first LLC, fire up a new one, and start over. Heck you could even just sponsor the same youtubers and they just see the cheque and don't care where it comes from. "Due to the massive security issues I dropped ElephantVPN. Now, I am sponsored by a completely different company with the same address, ModernHairlessWoollyMammothVPN. use my youtube channel name as an Affiliate code "BungholeDancer", to save 10% on your first subscription!"

Nick001

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #9 on: December 24, 2020, 05:51:36 AM »
                @Nick001,
                Did you happen to notice BC_Programmer has been a member of this forum for over 13 years, has over 20,000 posts, and has been personally thanked 1,126 times?
                He has offered sage advice, but then again, companies are free to offer goods and services with no real value and consumers are free to purchase said products.
                I have huge respect for his knowledge and service to this community. The reason I answered him is that he was belittling me and calling me a spammer.

patio

• Genius
                • Maud' Dib
                  • Yes
                « Reply #10 on: December 24, 2020, 07:02:01 AM »
                He did no such thing...
                " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
                  • Yes
                  • Yes
                  • BC-Programming.com
                « Reply #11 on: December 24, 2020, 09:28:09 AM »
                I did imply it. "Most products that have to meet sales quotas by hiring spammers to babble about it on random forums are.".

Though, saying I'm belittling them seems like an admission they are a spammer.

I'm still pretty sure they are a spammer.

I could believe that they honestly asked this question on another forum. Many users will have inquiries and cast a wider net.

Though, I wonder if this is the same user. Since then they would have experience with PureVPN, no? So why ask?