Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Cant boot pc or into safe mode latitude E5510 on windows 10  (Read 4067 times)

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Experienced
    Cant boot pc or into safe mode latitude E5510 on windows 10
    « on: November 22, 2020, 04:41:50 PM »
    Forgive me as i did not understand where to post the topic.

I have a dell latitude E5510 which got updated to windows 10. Messing around with the drivers I accidently bsod the computer. I did have a back up made but I see no options to access it. I have tried to acess windows automatic repair but that also didnt work (not sure if i did it correctly, but i tried power off with the power button 3 times at the dell screen). I have legacy mode enabled but my brother whipped my recovery drive. Is there any way to open this thing in safe mode? Or another way getting around it? Upon turning on the laptop i get the dell logo, then i am immediately sent to a screen which says "power wattage and type cannot be determined" followed by;

To continue press f1 key
    To change setup option press f2 key
    To run onboard diagnostics press f5 key

This however is not the issue, as my computer runs fine as long as the charger is plugged in.

When i press f1 then i am sent to the bsod which is the error code 0xc000014c File:\Boot\BCD.

When pressing f12 i a prompted with these options

Legacy boot:
    Internal HDD
    CD/DVD/CD-RW Drive
    Onboard NIC

Other options:
    BIOS Settup
    Diagnostics

Thank you.
    « Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 04:57:21 PM by zask »

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Cant load pc into safe mode latitude E5510 on windows 10
      « Reply #1 on: November 22, 2020, 04:45:35 PM »
      Would my backup be found in internal HDD? I just didnt wanna fool around to much more, and create anymore complications.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      Re: Cant load pc into safe mode latitude E5510 on windows 10
      « Reply #2 on: November 22, 2020, 05:05:06 PM »
      Hi

Your Laptop appears to have been supplied with a 320GB mechanical drive I suggest you run the bios diagnostics built into the laptop.
      Here's how to access bios diagnostics.
        Restart your Dell PC.
      When the Dell logo appears, press F12 key to enter One-time Boot Menu.
      Use the arrow keys to select Diagnostics and press Enter key on the keyboard.
      Follow the on-screen prompts and respond appropriately to complete the diagnostics.
      If the test fails, write down the error code and validation code.

Just run the short test on the hard drive  if you get an error code it normally means you need to replace the drive.

If everything tests ok then try the power down as you did 3 times but you may need to do it 4 times. then select repair problems starting windows

if it can't fix the problem you will need a copy of windows 10 to do a repair install.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

Re: Cant boot pc or into safe mode latitude E5510 on windows 10
        « Reply #3 on: November 22, 2020, 05:11:59 PM »
        Already have done I got
        Msg: error code 2000-0146
        Msg: hard drive 0 - self test logs contain previous error(s), give to technical support blah blah blah.

What do you mean by machanical drive? Im sure the computer works fine if i only had my usb to restore it

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: November 22, 2020, 05:14:10 PM »
          Ignore accidentally quoted*

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #5 on: November 22, 2020, 05:22:35 PM »
            unless.. Somehow I fried it.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
            • My first real computer
              • Yes
            « Reply #6 on: November 22, 2020, 09:24:38 PM »
            What about if you moved the laptop when it was on, Over heated the hard drive  or any number of things which may have happened. What about as an idea the hard drive is over 5 years old in a laptop 5 years is a good life.

The last thing to try is setting the hard drive mode in the bios to SATA and see if the computer boots or if you run the diagnostics again do you get the error?

If so then you need another drive.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
            ― John Bunyan

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #7 on: November 22, 2020, 10:05:21 PM »
              Well the hard drive actually already got replaced once about three years ago, but it was given to me in that condition. The fan is on the bottom so maybe overheating was also possible. Though i believe I know what caused it ultimately, and mainly is due to my own stupidity. Is it possible to use a usb drive to restore it without reinstalling a new hard disk? Or is it inevitable?

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: November 22, 2020, 10:06:57 PM »
                I did a full diagnosis and found no other errors besides the 2000-0146 But the bsod does say I need a recovery disk or usb to restore.

Also idk it this means anything but when i press the power button power immediately cuts off very quickly, no delays.
                « Last Edit: November 22, 2020, 10:17:34 PM by zask »

zask

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #9 on: November 23, 2020, 03:07:08 AM »
                  Okay so i got to borrow someones computer, i made a recovery usb with built in windows 10 features. I spammed the f12 then loaded the usb with new option that appeared.

Legacy boot:
                  USB Storage Device

Gave me windows logo and loading circle dot thingy and...... Nothing, black screen.

So i instead tried,

UEFI Boot:
                  UEFI : INT13(USB,0x80)

Gave windows logo and blinking "|" symbol at top... Waitng, waiting, and im in, I choose keyboard layout US, then this appears.

Choose an option

Recover from a drive>just remove my files>Unable to recover your PC. The system is to small.

Troubleshoot>starup repair>black screen windows logo "diagnosing your PC">Startup repair couldn't repair your pc.

Troubleshoot>system restore>*To use system restore, you must specify which Windows installation to restore. Restart this computer, select an operating system, and then select System restore* -tried this there is no such option.

Troubleshoot>command prompt> Sysreset -factory reset, but gave me the message "There was a problem resetting this pc

Also tried
                  bcdedit /set {default} safeboot minimal
                  But no safe mode :/

There is also system image recovery option but idk if i should be messing around with that.

Basically none of those things worked. Did i format the usb wrong or does this mean the hard drive is toasted? Sorry im not a guru.
                  « Last Edit: November 23, 2020, 03:37:13 AM by zask »

Lisa_maree

Mentor
                  • My first real computer
                    • Yes
                  « Reply #10 on: November 23, 2020, 12:08:02 PM »
                  The hard drive is toast install a new drive and reload windows.
                  ― John Bunyan