Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Need help Backing up Hard Drives  (Read 3259 times)

seedless

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Need help Backing up Hard Drives
    « on: February 01, 2006, 01:56:27 AM »
    Hello Everyone

So I here everyone always saying how important it is to back up hard drives and I also hear that it should be done every week. So am wondering if you guys can list several ways of doing so, and what types of applications are needed and what steps I should take in dewing so. I would greatly appreciate it.  

Leo.

pcdoc4christ

Re: Need help Backing up Hard Drives
    « Reply #1 on: February 01, 2006, 06:05:47 PM »
    Seedless (every grape should be ;) ):

Does your computer have Windows XP Home or Windows XP Professional?

Doc

seedless

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 01, 2006, 11:18:28 PM »
      Hey Doc im runing Windows XP Pro SP2.

Leo

pcdoc4christ

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 01:17:20 PM »
      Seedless:

Windows XP Professional has two built-in features you can use: the backup program and the ability to burn CDs.  To read more, click Start and click Help and Support, then do a search for the words "backup" and "cd burning".

Doc

If you have enough room on your hard drive, you can back up your entire system (excluding the backup folder, of course) to a backup folder.  If you don't have enough room to do this, you can back up just the system state, which is an option in the Microsoft backup program.

For regular backups, i'd suggest a full backup followed by daily or weekly incremental backups. If you need more help, let us know.

Best regards,
      Doc

Peter

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 01:29:48 PM »
      Hello Everyone

So I hear everyone always saying how important it is to back up hard drives and I also hear that it should be done every week. So am wondering if you guys can list several ways of doing so, and what types of applications are needed and what steps I should take in doing so. I would greatly appreciate it.  

Leo.

Hello Leo, there is a lot about drive imaging on the link below. I have had to restore both operating system drives on this computer because I made a mess of updating it and then did something wrong in the registry. If there hadn't been these backups on a partition I would have had to start again I suppose. I also have backups on bootable data DVDs provided in case the hard drive fails.

All these backups are made with Image For Windows.

Have a look at drive imaging on the link below.

The restores worked perfectly first time.

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 02:16:10 PM »
      Hello Everyone

So I here everyone always saying how important it is to back up hard drives and I also hear that it should be done every week. So am wondering if you guys can list several ways of doing so, and what types of applications are needed and what steps I should take in dewing so. I would greatly appreciate it.

Google is VERY helpful for finding all sorts of information just like this. Here is the first thing I found, and it only took seconds:

http://www.microsoft.com/windowsxp/using/setup/learnmore/bott_03july14.mspx

Peter

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 02:34:35 PM »
      I find windows backup next to useless.

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 02:37:30 PM »
      A useless Microsoft product? How unusual.

Computer_Commando

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 03:52:50 PM »
      Norton Ghost

smileymattj

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 10:24:38 AM »
      i second the idea of using norton ghost, just get another hd, simular to yours, it will copy the entire disk, and if yours should fail, just replace with the ghosted backup disk, and your running everything from the time you performed the ghost image.