Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: chkdsk C: /f/r/x not working  (Read 7931 times)

Maine Man

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    chkdsk C: /f/r/x not working
    « on: December 05, 2020, 12:19:03 PM »
    I think the HDD has a problem. When trying to clone to an SSD, the speed is around 4mbps. I enter the chkdsk command as above, say yes to check after reboot, and Windows 10 loads. Did an sfc/scannow and no problems were found. I don't think that command is the same as the chkdsk C: /f/r/x command. Does anyone know how to fix this?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: chkdsk C: /f/r/x not working
    « Reply #1 on: December 05, 2020, 01:15:09 PM »
    sfc is system file compare which checks your windows system files with a backup copy and restores any which are corrupt.

Chkdsk checks the file system, as stored on the hard drive for errors. This is done by checking the actual data on the drive. So the 2 commands do different things.

You should NEVER run chkdsk C: /f/r/x on a drive which you are un sure of it's health. It can do more damage.

You could check the hard drive with Hdsentinel    https://www.hdsentinel.com/

You may be better coping the drive outside of windows or on another computer. To copy the drive in windows it needs to create a virtual image either on the fly or completely which if the computer is running short of memory like only 4 gb total  or the source drive is short of space less than 30 gb the copy can be slow. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    « Reply #2 on: December 05, 2020, 02:58:11 PM »
    Too many switches ...all you need ia chkdsk/r
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Maine Man

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #3 on: December 05, 2020, 05:08:40 PM »
      Thanks. Will check out hdsentinel. I am using Samsung Data Migration software to clone the WD HDD onto a Samsung SSD.

Just used the /r switch but it didn't work. Using cmd to chkdsk after reboot just restarts Win 10.

I have recently cloned three laptop HDDs onto a Samsung SSD using the same method. One HDD had problems and would not copy. Ran chkdsk C: /f/r/x, repaired the HDD, and cloned the HDD. The computer I am working on now is a desktop. Using the Samsung Data Migration program, the clone speed is around 4 mbps, very slow. Had the same problem with the previous HHD that wouldn't copy. After repairing the HDD cloning went smoothly.

Apparently, chkdsk C: /f/r/x failing is a common problem and there are many work arounds. I don't know so asked here. Some say chkdsk has been replaced by Power Shell but I don't know about that either.

Any thoughts?   

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      • Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #4 on: December 05, 2020, 05:13:36 PM »
      /r assumes /f so the added sitch is redundant...
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #5 on: December 05, 2020, 07:12:48 PM »
      Unless hdsentinel says there is bad sectors I wouldn't wait the hours the /r switch can take when checking large drives. Better to just use the /f switch. The /x should be added to dismount the drive before checking. This won't work on a boot drive which will need to run chkdsk on boot.

The other program which may help diagnose slow access is benchme from here  http://www.benchbench.com/

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Maine Man

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: December 06, 2020, 11:00:09 AM »
        Update: Cloned C: HDD to F: (USB) Samsung SSD using Samsung Data Migration program overnight. Booted from HHD, no problem. Booted from SSD, Win 10 would not load.

Get recovery message: PC needs repair. OS will not load. Missing file or has errors.
        Missing file: \windows\system32\winload.exe  Error code 0xc000007b
        Found winload.exe on SSD, Clicked on it, and got the message: App can’t run on this PC.
        Any thoughts?