Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Norton 360 Premium - Surprise - Credit Card Required to Install product  (Read 3769 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
A client of mine bought Norton 360 Premium and bought it with cash from BJ's. They went to install it and it required a credit card before it would allow installation. They don't own a credit card and want to install the software. They contacted me and I ended up working with Norton support. At first they stated that the packaging clearly states that a credit card is required in fine print. However when telling them that no credit card is available so I guess your going to lose a sale because the software is going to have to be returned, they requested the software key and was able to activate the software at their end. Then they gave me a link and said all set now, just download and install the software. The link they gave worked and was able to install the Norton 360 Premium onto their computer.

Norton support stated the reasoning behind a credit card required is so that you don't have to worry about a lapse in your protection. And normally people who don't want to be charged a reoccurring annual fee will use their credit card as for the installation requirement and then you can logon to your account with them and disable the reoccurring payment option.

It was a total eye opener that they are this desperate to charge people that the installation procedure doesn't allow for skipping the credit card requirement! And only way to get around that requirement was to have support scold you that you should have read the fine print and then activate your key and then provide a link to download it.  :o

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
Re: Norton 360 Premium - Surprise - Credit Card Required to Install product
« Reply #1 on: December 15, 2020, 11:02:35 PM »
I suppose their logic is sound, Though making it a *requirement* to enter a CC at install time, rather than merely suggesting it and allowing the user to skip, feels like a "dark design" to me.

To me AV software and the companies behind them sometimes feel shadier than actual malware. Though I'm biased because AV software has been an almost constant headache as a developer. We are constantly dealing with AV software detecting our software as some generic trojan malware. Trend Micro Business detects many of our 'reduced size' installers as malware (they are reduced in size by only installing a few files- our updater program runs the installers so we have it take care of creating symbolic links). Initially I was thinking it was suspicious because of the symlinks, but, then it should be flagging the updater. Not only that but their Trend Micro Housecall finds nothing, so I don't know why their different editions would be finding things different. Even stranger is that it was detecting the *existing* uninstallers for their installed version from April as malware too. Which is why I'm liable to blame Trend Micro for creating a crappy product throwing out stupid false positives.

On the other hand, as a developer you can pay for a "partnership" account with them and then submit your software so it never shows up as a false positive so part of me wonders if it's a racket.

Another fun one is that some of them don't even detect it as malware but just decide not to let it run without saying anything. So the updater program I ran runs the uninstaller to get ready to install the new version- and AVG just kinda blocks the process and it never exits, so the updater sits there forever. Better yet, it's impossible to even kill the uninstall process. I don't know what AVG is trying to do there but it doesn't make any sense, especially since it's not actually detecting anything.

Stupider still IMO is I found a workaround where it can still run it and not be blocked, so if it is a protection mechanism, pretty sure actual malware authors might figure it out too?

countless man hours sunk into screenshares for weird issues only to find that the AV product they are using has decided is the source. Then I try to contact them about it and they are trying to get me to sign up with some stupid paid partnership program so I can submit program files, (one at a time)... feels like a racket. "oy, be a real shame if your software was detected as a false positive, we can fix that for you- for a fee..."

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.