Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: generic cd-rw drive question  (Read 1943 times)

mikepisano

generic cd-rw drive question
« on: February 03, 2006, 10:08:32 AM »
On the faceplate of compaq presario model 5wv261, there is a small hole where generally there would be a light. In this hole, there is a plastic pin. Does this pin serve a purpose and, if so, since it's now pushed in level with the faceplate, if it needs to be removed, how does one do so?

(The computer currently is completely non-functional, so I can't say whether this pin has had any ill effect. At present, the computer instantly turns on when it's plugged in and the monitor shuts down into stand-by. I.e., I have a lot of issues with it, but that's all for another post!)

TIA.

- Mike

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: generic cd-rw drive question
    « Reply #1 on: February 03, 2006, 12:31:44 PM »
    mikepisano...... I very much doubt that the ..."plastic pin" ...... has anything to do with your issue ....... However if you keep waking up at night or have
    dreams about "plastic pins" ........ Open the case ...... make sure you drain away any static build-up in your body .....and remove the 4 pin power plug and the IDE ( the wide ribbon cable) from the rear of the drive.  AND while your inside the case do the following ..... if its full of dust ......use canned air to remove the dust ........then remove and reseat the vid card ( unless its a on- board vid card) and then remove and reseat the ram.   Now leave the case open and attempt to power up the pc .......... listen and see if you hear any beeps ........
    Look ans see if the CPU cooling fan is running ok and the case fan is working .
    Let us know how you make out .
    BTW ......the pc will start without the cd-rw connected

dl65  ::)
    « Last Edit: February 03, 2006, 12:33:03 PM by dl65 »
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.