Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer Laptop stuck at Acer Logo (no loading icon and can't format)  (Read 6159 times)

nickthomson1103

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Experienced
    I have an Acer laptop (Ryzen 5 2500U/8GB DDR4/256GB SSD/Windows 10 Home) that is stuck on the Acer logo splash screen.

I hadn't used it for several weeks and now it can't get past the Acer logo. Can't even see the Windows loading icon that used be displayed below the logo.

I tried all the troubleshooting actions that I could - keeping it ON for long time, restarting several times, battery reset, disconnecting & connecting internal components, checking if the internal fan works, and few other things that I might be missing here.

The laptop does go into BIOS, where I changed the boot sequence to format/reset via USB drive. The laptop detects USB drive in BIOS but it doesn't boot from the USB drive when I restart it. I think the only thing left to do here is BIOS reset, but that might also strip the preinstalled Windows 10 key.

Thus, before taking it to a computer store/technician, this post is my last resort.

TIA!

patio

• Genius
    • Maud' Dib
      • Yes
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: Acer Laptop stuck at Acer Logo (no loading icon and can't format)
    « Reply #1 on: January 21, 2021, 01:41:35 PM »
    Hpw did you build the USB stik ? ?
    " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: January 21, 2021, 04:01:41 PM »
    I think the only thing left to do here is BIOS reset, but that might also strip the preinstalled Windows 10 key.

Thus, before taking it to a computer store/technician, this post is my last resort.

TIA!

Resetting the bios to the defaults will not loose the windows 10 activation.

Is the hard drive showing in the bios? if not there is no point in getting the Laptop to boot from USB. You need first to diagnose why the SSD drive is not detecting.  With it being a Ryzen have you checked the warranty ? also seems a bit strange it has a 256gb ssd most Acers the Ryzen CPU's  were supplied with 1TB drives. Maybe the  drive is not seated correctly.

If you take it to a tech they will be able to check these things for you.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

nickthomson1103

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2021, 10:24:32 PM »
      Hpw did you build the USB stik ? ?

I created the USB stick by using the Windows 10 media creation tool.

nickthomson1103

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #4 on: January 21, 2021, 10:29:23 PM »
        Resetting the bios to the defaults will not loose the windows 10 activation.

Is the hard drive showing in the bios? if not there is no point in getting the Laptop to boot from USB. You need first to diagnose why the SSD drive is not detecting. With it being a Ryzen have you checked the warranty ? also seems a bit strange it has a 256gb ssd most Acers the Ryzen CPU's  were supplied with 1TB drives. Maybe the  drive is not seated correctly.

If you take it to a tech they will be able to check these things for you.

You are right, the laptop did come with 1TB HDD. I have added an additional 256GB WD Blue M.2 SSD stick and transferred the Windows 10 OS from the HDD to the SSD by using Macrium Reflect software. The laptop has few months of warranty left, but I've already voided it by adding the SSD as soon as I bought the laptop.

Secondly, I did failed to mention that both the drives (SSD & HDD) are detected in the BIOS.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: January 21, 2021, 11:38:05 PM »
        Did you make a reflect usb pendrive to do the drive transfer. If you still have it I would boot from that and check the partitions are showing on the 2 drives.

Also if you have access to another computer try booting the windows 10 Pen drive just to check it works if it does boot ok on another computer then try removing the 1 TB drive from the Laptop  and see if it boots from the M2 drive.

Please keep us posted
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

nickthomson1103

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: January 22, 2021, 01:11:29 AM »
          Did you make a reflect usb pendrive to do the drive transfer. If you still have it I would boot from that and check the partitions are showing on the 2 drives.

Also if you have access to another computer try booting the windows 10 Pen drive just to check it works if it does boot ok on another computer then try removing the 1 TB drive from the Laptop  and see if it boots from the M2 drive.

Please keep us posted

For the Macrium Reflect software, the software did the OS transfer from HDD to SDD.

Secondly, I did try to boot Windows 10 from USB drive on my desktop and it works fine.

Though, I'll try to remove the HDD connection and try to boot again! Though I don't have much hopes that it might work! Still, I'll try.

Thanks for the suggesstion.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: January 22, 2021, 06:57:28 AM »
          Are you pressing F10 to save changes and exit after making USB boot priority ? ?

nickthomson1103

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #8 on: January 23, 2021, 08:33:32 AM »
            Are you pressing F10 to save changes and exit after making USB boot priority ? ?

Yup! I'm saving the changes made in BIOS!

patio

• Genius
            • Maud' Dib
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: January 27, 2021, 06:02:33 AM »
            No need to keep quoting previous posts when replying...