Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: DVD Hardware Problem (Drive)  (Read 1943 times)

mckayknight

DVD Hardware Problem (Drive)
« on: February 04, 2006, 08:51:22 PM »
Hi there here are my computer specifications:

Systemax Computer (Five years old)
Windows XP Home Edition
AMD Athlon 1.2Ghz
RAM 256MBs PNY
ATI All-In-Wonder 128 Pro 32MBs
Western Digital 55GBs IDE
NEC CD-R/RW Rewritable IDE
Plextor PX-740A DVD-R/RW Rewritable EIDE
Sparkle Power Supply Unit 250Watts

Now to the point this DVD Burner is about a month old ever sense I tried to burn either a DVD, CD, or just files to transfer to one of them at least when I tried to burn some files to a cd it would reach at a certain percentage like 20% and automatically reboot the machine I am thinking it could be a power supply issue, processor issue, or some kind of hardware issue the computer is five years old was using the nero oem software to burn the files on tried other software and the problem still occurs although I can't take it back sense it's passed 30 days but would like some help if offered

GX1_Man

Re: DVD Hardware Problem (Drive)
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 09:04:15 PM »
Just on general principle I would install a name brasnd quality power supply > 350w. An "el cheapo" is not a good solution foro any machine. "Sparkle" brand and 250w do not instill confidence in me.

You can try the problematic drive on another machine on the outside chance that it has a problem. Has it ever worked correctly in that machine?

mckayknight

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 11:40:05 AM »
Hmmm so you think it's a power supply issue i'll have to check out some brands like ultra and stuff thanks for the information my cousin as the same exact dvd burner as me and works perfectly fine for him oh well thanks again  :)

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 11:48:07 AM »
I would take your drive and try it on your cousin's machine. It will just take a few minutes, and he already has the software loaded, so that would give you a quick and definite answer.

Look at his power supply while you're in there!  ;)