Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: New Install question  (Read 3030 times)

DeGault

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    New Install question
    « on: January 28, 2021, 02:06:37 PM »
    I had to replace my desktop today. The hard drive from my old one is fine, and has work files and software on it that I want to keep. The new system doesn't want to boot to the old drive (and it's Windows 7, and I have a fresh install of 10 on the SSD in the new system.

Is there a way for me to add the software on the old drive to the Windows 10 menu without reinstalling it? I'm guessing it would involve some registry editing, which I'm not opposed to, but I would need some direction.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: New Install question
    « Reply #1 on: January 29, 2021, 12:12:52 AM »
    Hi

Does the new computer see the files on the windows 7 drive ? when you try to boot the new computer from the Windows 7 drive how far does it get? Once you are able to boot Windows 7 it may be an option to upgrade 7 to 10 then transfer the old computers drive to the new ssd. There isn't a way to transfer programs from one version of windows to another version. You would need to re install the the programs then do a data transfer.

Most new CPU's and motherboards will cause Windows 7 to crash booting thou. Like they don't support windows other than 10.

If you run Speccy from here   https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy/builds                    on the new computer booting into windows 10
    Then select file / Publish report and copy the link given back here. We can check whether the computer will run windows 7.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

DeGault

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
      Re: New Install question
      « Reply #2 on: January 29, 2021, 06:00:02 AM »
      The "new" computer isn't really new - it's a repurposed old one that I'm using while waiting for the parts for my new one. It will run 7 ok, and I can access the files on it fine, but when I try to boot to the old drive it will bluescreen every time.

I think what I'm going to have to do is reinstall the software that I need to use, and eventually I'll move the old files to a temporary home and then wipe the old drive and use it for extra storage. I'd hoped for something easier, but the more I mess with it the more I see that that isn't going to happen lol.