Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Multiple "USB Device Malfunctioned and Is Not Recognized" error messages  (Read 4622 times)

enesengr

Topic Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Hello, CH

I have a problem similar to casse2go's post on 1/18/20.  My laptop is giving me multiple "Last USB device you connected malfunctioned and is not recognized" error messages when I haven't connected anything.  But unlike casse2go's problem, it has not affected any other computer process or operation.  It will start by sounding a USB device removal tone, then about two seconds later a USB insertion tone and malfunction alarm.  The frequency of this cycle can vary widely.  Sometimes it will repeat the pattern every 10 or 15 seconds for several minutes; other times it might not do it for ten or fifteen minutes or even an hour or more.  It often starts when I first go online or shortly thereafter, but not always, and seems to involve Internet Explorer although I use a different browser.  Also, it will even sometimes do it when the computer is asleep.

I have an LG Gram laptop running Windows 10 Home Version.  I have not recently installed any new programs, and I have done multiple virus scans, including boot-time scans, with Avast but they always come up clean.  Task Manager shows a momentary 7 or 8% spike in CPU usage when it occurs, but I cant find one particular program causing it.

Although it doesn't seem to affect any other processes, it does get annoying when it keeps making alarms when I'm trying to do something else like watch a video or eat dinner.  Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

ZmMalika

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Multiple "USB Device Malfunctioned and Is Not Recognized" error messages
      « Reply #1 on: February 08, 2021, 07:31:50 AM »
      You need to change the port of UsB you are plugging.

MichaelNyby

Beginner
        • Experience: Familiar
        « Reply #2 on: February 08, 2021, 02:20:30 PM »
        Please excuse my being sort of blunt, ZmMalika, but the OP seemed to state that no device was plugged into any port.

And I should again asked to be excused for even further bluntness, enesengr, but you don't making any reference in your post about having checked to be sure no sort of foreign stuff, like maybe weird dirt stuff, is in any port.  I mean, I don't know what sort of work environment you have at that work station, but even something like a weird little bug might --- yes, remotely 'might' --- might cause weird stuff to happen.  Maybe.  Just a thought.  You know, a sort of eliminate that easy stuff first, then get the code jockeys to help with how the code is giving you a hard time.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: February 08, 2021, 09:10:55 PM »
        First is the Laptop still under warrantee?

There are several parts on your laptop which even thou they are built in a considered usb devices. The Touch pad, touch screen and Keyboard if any of these are damaged it could cause the disconnect/reconnect. Are you using the power supply supplied with the laptop the 1 with a round connector or are you using a USB C charger ? If USB C, some chargers will cause that fault.

Thanks for your prompt answers

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: February 08, 2021, 09:50:56 PM »
        Umm he hasn't been back since November...
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: February 09, 2021, 01:44:14 AM »
        Thanks for your prompt answers

Was a bit optimistic
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #6 on: February 09, 2021, 07:24:07 AM »
         :P    :P
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

MichaelNyby

Beginner
          • Experience: Familiar
          « Reply #7 on: February 09, 2021, 04:06:29 PM »
          Well, while we wait for the OP to return may I ask a question that came to me when I read Lisa_maree's post?

I wasn't sure I understood that part about the keyboard or touchpad, etc. were built in --- not connected to an actual port --- yet they were considered to be USB devices.

In addition, instead of just checking one of my own units to see how that might look I went to Google's search engine and I saw the Lenovo community thread that seemed to indicate something like that:

https://forums.lenovo.com/t5/Windows-based-Tablets/miix-320-touch-pad-and-USB-issue/m-p/3775701

But I wasn't sure I was pinning that idea down properly and went to Wikipedia:

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/USB

But that didn't seem to be so helpful and I went back to a better search phrase and I found this, which is also using Computer Hope as one source:

https://www.flexihub.com/all-about-usb.html

But I am still not getting a handle on this.

Does anyone know where this idea that it isn't connected to a port, but is still in the USB system is explained?

I'd appreciate the help.

Thank you.