Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: "non system disk" when insert Win2K boot floppy  (Read 3330 times)

robnab

"non system disk" when insert Win2K boot floppy
« on: February 05, 2006, 03:24:19 AM »
I have formatted the HD in my ibm thinkpad (390X 2626-HOG,P2,400mhz,6gHD,formerly Win98) I have the Win2K CD rom from which I have made 4 boot disks as I couldn't get the BIOS to boot from the CD drive.

When I try to boot from the 1st floppy, I get a "Non system disk" error.

Any suggestions gratefully received!

before reformatting the HD, I updated the BIOS  (spsdis55.exe)

GX1_Man

Re: "non system disk" when insert Win2K boot flopp
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 09:55:39 AM »
Iss your computer set to boot first from the floppy in the BIOS? I would remake the  boot floppies and try again. Something wrong there.

robnab

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 11:08:45 AM »
yeah, it automatically goes to the A drive after giving the option to go to BIOS, it then says invalid system disk, replace the disk and press any key

Gonna try and get hold of another copy of Win 2k, see if that works.

anyone know how to boot from CD? if possible,

Thanks

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 11:54:07 AM »
If your computer has the option to boot from CD first (in the BIOS), it is automatic when the machine is restarted with the W2K disc in the drive. (Be sure and remove any floppy before trying this.

Did you try re-doing the 4 boot floppies?

robnab

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 04:06:23 PM »
I think I've worked out how to get it to boot from CD, (moving the Cd above the FDD on the startup option of BIOS) and tried to boot from the CD, but same result. I also tried to make another set of floppies from another win2k disk, that didn't work either.

Have I got a firmware/bios issues?

out of ideas :-?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 04:18:57 PM »
Just out of curiosity why did you update the BIOS? Are you sure you got the right one?

robnab

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 01:10:35 AM »
The BIOS update was via the ibm web site

(http://www-307.ibm.com/pc/support/site.wss/document.do?sitestyle=lenovo&lndocid=MIGR-4C5UP9)

The release date was Dec 01, so I'm guessing it would support w2k.

I've just had a look at the symtoms corrected by the BIOS update and support for w2k is one of them, although that was a fix in a previous update, surely the latest BIOS would be cumulative and include all previous update?

w98 seemed to run fine in the 2 days before I formatted the HD

and before anyone else asks, no it hasn't "ran out of coal! ::)"

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 06, 2006, 03:48:22 AM »
Yes, BIOS updates are usually inclusive, so i don't think W2k is the problem. Just for grins, can  you try booting witth a Win98 boot floppy  and format the drive? With a machine that age, hardware is suspect too.

robnab

« Reply #8 on: February 06, 2006, 05:32:08 PM »
Managed to convince an IT guy at work to help out, he put in one of their w2k discs and it started loading straight away!

apparently I got 2 dodgy copies, come to think of it, I'm not sure if they were ligitimate copies..... I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all the help guys, good forum, I'm learning loads off it just by looking at other peoples problems and I hope mine has help others (namely not to download/buy/borrow knocked off MS stuff!!)

GX1_Man

« Reply #9 on: February 06, 2006, 05:51:04 PM »
Managed to convince an IT guy at work to help out, he put in one of their w2k discs and it started loading straight away!

apparently I got 2 dodgy copies, come to think of it, I'm not sure if they were ligitimate copies..... I guess you get what you pay for.

Thanks for all the help guys, good forum, I'm learning loads off it just by looking at other peoples problems and I hope mine has help others (namely not to download/buy/borrow knocked off MS stuff!!)

Thanks for posting back. Illegal copies can cause problems!  ;)