Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Lots of 'Not Responding'  (Read 4396 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Lots of 'Not Responding'
« on: March 18, 2021, 02:01:05 PM »
Windows 10 used to seem really stable.

Lately - last two weeks or so - I have been getting lots of weirdness:
  • Office products hanging, "Not Responding" to things like F12 (Save As)
  • Windows Explorer taking a lonnnnnnnggggg time to fully open a window ("Fully Open" = icons have correct thumbnails, little green bar in address window makes it all the way from left to right)
  • Windows Explorer "Not Responding"
I don't know precisely when I first noticed, so can't begin to think if there's a correlation to an update or new software. I don't think I've installed anything around the window things started acting funny. Did a malware check and things looked okey-dokey.

Anyone else having similar issues?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Gizmo

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    Re: Lots of 'Not Responding'
    « Reply #1 on: March 19, 2021, 10:21:16 AM »
    Explorer taking a long time to open a window could indicate a hard drive problem.
    If you can open Explorer and click on My PC, right click on the C: drive, click on the Tools tab and then in Error Checking click on Check.

If there are any problems hopefully windows can fix them, or at least indicate if that is the cause.

If it is not that then we will have to delve further into what is causing the problem.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #2 on: April 14, 2021, 04:21:27 PM »
    "Tools" isn't a right-click option. Presume you mean "Properties=>Tools"?

ETA: Meant to include that I ran that, and it was fine.
    Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #3 on: April 14, 2021, 04:29:41 PM »
    Rather than start with the Windows tools to check files, I suggest you check the Hard drive is up to running these checks.

I would run a copy of HD sentinel from here https://www.hdsentinel.com/download.php

Check the drive and if it is failing have it replaced. Then run the tools Gizmo suggested.
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #4 on: April 15, 2021, 03:46:43 PM »
    All good, I think?

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #5 on: April 15, 2021, 05:58:02 PM »
    Yes you are correct the SSD is ok. What about the free space. A SSD for long life and reliable operation you need to maintain at least 10% free space + 20GB for windows workspace.
    Hd sentinel will show this as well. 
    You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
    « Reply #6 on: April 16, 2021, 06:31:42 PM »
    Oh I have at least 45 percent free.