Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Transferring old laptop hard drive to new laptop.  (Read 2994 times)

Dave F

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    Transferring old laptop hard drive to new laptop.
    « on: April 10, 2021, 03:16:26 PM »
    Can I put my hard disk from my old laptop alongside the new hard disk in a new laptop? Both hard disks would have an OS on them, would that cause a problem? Putting the old hard disk in would save me a lot of trouble transferring data and downloading software.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Transferring old laptop hard drive to new laptop.
    « Reply #1 on: April 11, 2021, 10:15:59 AM »
    As long as you don't try to boot from the old drive, it doesn't matter what's on it.

Dave F

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: April 11, 2021, 03:09:35 PM »
      Thanks for answering, Allan, I'm debating whether to get my laptop repaired or get a new one. I've had a new SSD put in my old laptop recently and it seems a waste not to put it to use and, as I said, it would save me a lot time and trouble. Thanks again.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #3 on: April 11, 2021, 03:44:20 PM »
      Hi Dave

What make and model are the 2 Laptops? What versions of Windows are they running ? And what is the problem you were having with the old laptop. As it is unlikely that the new laptop will take 2 drives, you may need to put the SSD from the old laptop into an external case and use it. 
      With the above info we will be able to provide a solution.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Dave F

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #4 on: April 11, 2021, 05:07:50 PM »
        Hello Lisa,
        At the moment I'm still making my mind up what way to go, repair my old laptop or buy a new one. Because of this I haven't chosen a specific laptop yet but my current laptop is an HP Pavilion using Windows 10 v19041. The problem I have is a broken hinge that has caused the lid to distort which has made the screen lift slightly on the right hand bottom corner. Having spent out on a new SSD recently together with the lid/screen problem I wonder if repairs will become a false economy. I have watched YouTube videos that show the SSD in a caddy being placed in the Optical Drive. If the SSD could become an external drive that might be an easier solution. Thanks for trying to help.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: April 11, 2021, 08:01:30 PM »
        Hi Again

The hinge problem is very common with HP Pavilions and is normally not economic to repair if you can't do it yourself. So I suggest a new laptop. This unfortunately is unlikely to take the SSD drive you have so the external en closer is an option. It is important to use the SSD in a USB3 or newer standard en closer.

The other option is to source a laptop which will take your SSD and is running Windows 10. Then you could swap out the drive in the new laptop with  the SSD. Windows 10 is very tolerant booting on different hardware.

Would you consider a used/refurbished laptop ?

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Dave F

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #6 on: April 13, 2021, 08:17:39 AM »
          Hello Lisa,

Sorry for the delay answering, I decided to contact a local computer repair business and they took the laptop away to check it over. As they are now waiting for the parts to come in they brought the laptop back and I can now reply to you. I think this will be the last repair and if there is another problem I will get another laptop. In the meantime I will look at what's on offer keeping all your advice in mind, especially about the USB3 for the SSD. Thanks for taking the time to help me, I appreciate it.

Dave.