Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Poll

old user files?

windows xp
0 (0%)
help
0 (0%)

Total Members Voted: 0

Author Topic: Old user folder  (Read 2352 times)

magic_plank

Old user folder
« on: January 17, 2006, 03:11:04 PM »
Hi,
This isnt urgent or serious or whatever so it can wait, but after various problems with windows, and then eventually it stating that files were missing, I did a system restore. I used the built in one, accessed by pressing f11 whilst starting up, and it made a mess of things. I then useed a restore DVD. This took longer but everyting was wiped and re-installed as I wanted it, and te problems were solved. However, this time round I created and account under the name 'Matty' instead of 'Matthew'. So now there is a folder on my data drive (windows is seperate) called 'Matthew' next to 'Matty' with nothing in it, unacessible an undeletable that appears to be a leftover from before the system restore.
How do i delete it?
I am the only user on this computer.
« Last Edit: January 17, 2006, 03:12:06 PM by magic_plank »

GX1_Man

Re: Old user folder
« Reply #1 on: January 17, 2006, 04:13:55 PM »

magic_plank

« Reply #2 on: January 21, 2006, 04:32:18 AM »
It didnt work, but it doesn't really matter! its just a bit annoying

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #3 on: January 21, 2006, 07:44:59 AM »
Would you rather just undo the restoration? How long ago did this happen?

Flame

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #4 on: January 21, 2006, 02:28:33 PM »
    If Killbox didn't work you didn't use it correctly.

tn-man

« Reply #5 on: January 21, 2006, 08:30:51 PM »
    I had a similar problem with a folder I was trying to change permissions on.  The dir is now inaccessible.  I can see the root and files in the root, and I can delete a file in the root with file killer, but no subdirectories.  It couldn't kill sub-directories where I don't have permissions (or should I say, where I screwed the permissions up).

magic_plank

« Reply #6 on: February 07, 2006, 08:52:14 AM »
    OK, I changed my mind, now it DOES matter!
    I recently booted in DOS and looked in the directory (windows wouldnt let me) and ALL my old files are in there from before the system restore! I can't change or dlelete any of them though...
    I would either like to be able to use them or delete them, but I would not like them to just be hanging around wasting space.