Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Acer IPIMB-AR Rev 1.02A  (Read 8340 times)

Porch01

Topic Starter

Starter

• Experience: Experienced
    Acer IPIMB-AR Rev 1.02A
    « on: January 01, 2021, 10:22:44 AM »
    Hello all. I have a Gateway computer purchased in 2013. It is a DX4870-UB318. The motherboard is an Acer IPIMB-AR Rev 1.02A. It fails to boot to the bios. After turning it on, the fans startup and then it basically stops there. Nothing displayed on the screen. I have removed all connections to the motherboard. I have removed the battery for an hour. I have reset the CMOS. I have reseated the RAM sticks. I have tried only one stick of ram (two 4 GB sticks) at a time. I have tried a different power supply. Nothing seems to work. What other trouble shooting steps can I perform? Does someone have a copy of a bios that I can install directly to the mother board and what is the process to do this? Any help would be greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Mr_Patton

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: Acer IPIMB-AR Rev 1.02A
      « Reply #1 on: January 04, 2021, 07:05:18 AM »
      You cannot install bios to the motherboard on your own. Go to service

Porch01

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #2 on: January 04, 2021, 05:26:17 PM »
        I don't understand.  Please explain why it cannot be installed.  Thank you.

Mr_Patton

Rookie

« Reply #3 on: January 05, 2021, 03:57:41 AM »
          It seems that your CPU doesn't support bios your motherboard has. However I may be wrong. What CPU do you have?
          If I'm right, then you should find a suitable cpu and do the update or go to service.

patio

• Genius
          • Maud' Dib
            • Yes
          « Reply #4 on: January 05, 2021, 06:35:19 AM »
          Replace the CMOS battery   CR2032.
          " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Porch01

Topic Starter

Starter

« Reply #5 on: January 06, 2021, 08:32:32 PM »
            The CPU is a Intel Core i5 (3rd Gen) 3330 / 3 GHz.

The CMOS battery has been replaced and did not help correct the issue.

Troncc

Rookie

• Yes
            • Computer: Specs
            • Experience: Guru
            « Reply #6 on: January 17, 2021, 12:18:09 AM »
            1. Does it beep when there are no components? (Every component removed but the CPU ie: RAM, graphics card, any other cards, all USB, all drive cables, even keyboard/mouse, any accessories plugged into the power connectors)
             1b. (its piezo buzzer is soldered to the MB - so beeping should not be an issue)

2. Are any capacitors bad (leaking or brown spots), especially near the CPU area? (Bad caps = voltage flux = common older MB cause of death)

3. (CMOS battery replaced - so that's out. I'm assuming it was a known good battery)

4. (You tried a different known good power supply - so that's out)

5. Any MB shorts? (System dusted, no metal touching where it shouldn't front or back)

6. The CPU is compatible - Was it removed or messed with? Did you do a quick reseat test? Did you test it in another working MB?
                (In 95% of cases the MB fails before the CPU ever does. Testing the CPU is usually a last ditch effort.)

At this point I'd call the MB toast.. No beeps is a very bad sign.

When a computer cannot get to POST, that is a low-level hardware failure. It commonly is caused by one of 4 things: Bad Power Supply, failed CPU, failed mainboard, and on rare occurrences, bad memory.

I should have just sent you here: https://www.lifewire.com/fix-computer-that-turns-on-but-displays-nothing-2624443
            « Last Edit: January 17, 2021, 01:13:28 AM by Troncc »
            If at first you don't succeed, try it 1000 other ways..

joedawk1

• Experience: Familiar
              « Reply #7 on: April 06, 2021, 09:17:06 PM »
              Hello, I have 4 IPIMB-AR REV 1.02A boards. Real quick first off have you priced this board? Wow, what makes them so expensive after all this time? Anyway, I have one on my workbench I'm tweaking for my build. I have had it do exactly what is going on with you, most recently I overclocked my 16gb (2x8) cheap budget ram Atech I believe it is, fried the ram. I had already put everything together and in the case to. Through the process of elimination I finally got it running again removed everything which is ram, hard drive, fans, front panel plugs, USB 2.0 and 3.0, 750ti GPU, mouse, keyboard, wireless card everything. Well my ram only worked in the front two slots already so I used some extra 4g and added 1 at a time because it didn't work right away with both. Leave everything off but your fans, mouse, keyboard, and hard drive. Use your onboard HDMI. Make sure both 4 pin and 24 pin power are connected and reset your CMOS and Bios. If your not getting any response from that use the front panel plug pins discussed earlier with the diagram use a screw driver or whatever you feel comfortable using in that tight spot and long press the reset pins hold your tool until it beeps or shuts down then hit the power on pins adjacent  to the reset ones. You can also long press those as well. Move one stick of working ram around and keep hitting those pins. Also if all else fails and you have a new SSD hook it up and throw a USB bootable drive in the 3.0 on the back and see if you get a response that way.

joedawk1

• Experience: Familiar
                « Reply #8 on: April 06, 2021, 09:32:06 PM »
                These may help.

lunacyworks

• Experience: Expert
                  « Reply #9 on: April 16, 2021, 11:50:21 PM »
                  Not sure if this is the same issue,  Computer will boot but hangs at BIOS.  This just recently started happening after a Windows 10 update and installing a printer?   I know on other computers (a couple of HPs) I received instructions from HP to update the BIOS  as a way to solve the issue.  While they are not the same company the problem seems like it could be the same, so does anyone have the latest BIOS?