Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: It keeps losing connection?!?  (Read 10746 times)

Nuff_Said

It keeps losing connection?!?
« on: August 12, 2004, 09:46:23 AM »
I have Cable internet and I just recently after I bought my new computer I have been seeing some problems. I will be able to turn on my computer and go on the internet just fine, but then randomly it just loses its connection and I have to reboot my computer everytime to get my connection back up. Well lately its been losing its connection like mad and it seems like every ten minutes or so it will log me off.

Does anyone know the problem and how to fix it?

merlin_2

Re: It keeps losing connection?!?
« Reply #1 on: August 12, 2004, 02:30:15 PM »
firewall maybe ...modem config...router...what operating system is this...or is it server error.. have you tried pinging the server...for packets sent ...packets lost...or try netstat in the command prompt..
« Last Edit: August 12, 2004, 02:31:46 PM by merlin_2 »

Nuff_Said

« Reply #2 on: August 14, 2004, 08:28:59 PM »
Hmmmm, I really dont know what you are saying. All I know is whenever I go on the internet and start going to sites and stuff eventually the internet connection will be lost be it within 5-25 minutes of being on the net. Its getting very frustrating.

merlin_2

« Reply #3 on: August 15, 2004, 01:05:19 AM »
save your dial up number and password delete your connection and make a new one via internet wizard or do it manually..and check your settings for time to live ....it maybe that is set to cut you of?what modem have you got  update the driver...more info on internet connections ..how is it set up..

Raptor

« Reply #4 on: August 15, 2004, 04:15:11 AM »
I suggest you call your cable provider and have them walk you through it.

Kristine D

« Reply #5 on: August 16, 2004, 08:12:02 AM »

kellygirl

« Reply #6 on: August 16, 2004, 08:19:55 AM »
It may be something as simple as a check in the "Disconnect after sending and receiving" box in your mail server Tools/Options/Connection???  If that is checked it will disconnect every time you send or receive mail, or sometimes "log-on".  Best of luck... ;D

Computer_Commando

« Reply #7 on: August 16, 2004, 05:59:00 PM »
It may be something as simple as a check in the "Disconnect after sending and receiving" box in your mail server Tools/Options/Connection???  If that is checked it will disconnect every time you send or receive mail, or sometimes "log-on".  Best of luck... ;D

Sorry, Kelly.  This is cable...it's ON all the time.  The only ways to disconnect are to turn off the computer or turn off the cable modem, or disconnect the cables.

Nuff_Said

« Reply #8 on: August 22, 2004, 02:52:21 PM »
Now this keeps happening. It seemed like the problem went away. But it seems to lose connection everytime I'm on the computer looking though websites and while my sister is on the other computer chatting on her *censored* AIM.

merlin_2

« Reply #9 on: August 22, 2004, 03:07:52 PM »
maybe you sister should try  trillian or msn messenger... and get rid of aim >aol..you are on? no disrespect but aol is full of nastys?.. and if you have firewalls these can cause problem if they are not configured to allow websites...also have you tried another nic card...>http://support.microsoft.com/default.aspx?scid=KB;EN-US;Q310089&ID=KB;EN-US;Q310089
« Last Edit: August 23, 2004, 02:46:52 AM by merlin_2 »

merlin_2

« Reply #10 on: August 24, 2004, 01:42:43 PM »
disable hibernation and disable win messenger or this in the device manager/ hardware  click the  + USB controllers/double click usb root hub chose  power management and uncheck the box  it may help?

Nuff_Said

« Reply #11 on: September 05, 2004, 05:30:17 PM »
Now when I go to certian websites some message seems to come up and its like you need to debug this or something like that. Does anyone know what this is and how to get rid of it? Also what are somethings that would be on my internet options or Nortons that would log me off the internet? Because I'm still having this *censored* problem.

merlin_2

« Reply #12 on: September 05, 2004, 05:40:10 PM »
sorry to be pain in the harris<london talk>what o/s have you got norton should not log you of the net..is due to updates...how have set up you home networking?more info  again ....sorry..but if you need ..answers..thats.. the way..it..is..

Nuff_Said

« Reply #13 on: September 06, 2004, 06:50:58 PM »
I dont even remember setting up a home network.  ???

Raptor

« Reply #14 on: September 07, 2004, 05:07:51 AM »
You probably did use the Windows Internet connection wizard. From there, you can set different type of networks.

Joleen

« Reply #15 on: September 07, 2004, 05:44:49 AM »
Are you using a signal splitter to get Cable television without paying?  You may need to amplify the signal after splitting it or you'll degrade the connection.

Sean

« Reply #16 on: September 08, 2004, 12:57:30 PM »
Along with what Joleen said.....even if you are paying you can't split your cable connection more than twice and connect  to the internet without a poor/no conection.

In order to make more sense of that....you can split cable more than twice and watch T.V. and such, but you can't use the cable that was already split more than twice for the internet, you need to take a cable wire that has been split less than twice.

According to Comcast.