Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: I need a CD Burner, but....  (Read 27262 times)

breadcrumb

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Beginner
    I need a CD Burner, but....
    « on: May 12, 2021, 11:13:40 PM »
    I have a Dell Optiplex 780. It is used and I haven't had it long. I was going to burn a CD but windows media player said I have to plug in a CD burner! I know NOTHING AT ALL about computers so please don't talk techy to me. I saw on ebay that there are external CD burners (as I would have no idea how to install  an internal one)! However, I'm not sure exactly what I need to be looking for in choosing one...all I want to do is burn music to a CD-R. So can someone help me out here? Thanks so much ahead of time!
    breadcrumb
    Call me "Breadcrumb". I'm certainly crummy at computer stuff!

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: I need a CD Burner, but....
    « Reply #1 on: May 12, 2021, 11:31:50 PM »
    First check on the cd drive you have in the Dell that it has   DVD+/-RW which means it is a CD writer/Dvd writer. If it has  DVD-ROM then it is only a reader so can't write disks.

If it is a DVD+/-RW then check windows can see the drive in windows explorer. You may need to eject the disk tray and re inset before the drive shows. If the drive is showing then it should work in Windows Media player.

If you just want to get another drive then something like this https://www.amazon.com/External-CD-DVD-Drive-Compatible/dp/B07MJW5BXZ

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Vetal

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      Re: I need a CD Burner, but....
      « Reply #2 on: September 12, 2021, 08:47:27 PM »
      I have a Dell Optiplex 780. It is used and I haven't had it long. I was going to burn a CD but windows media player said I have to plug in a CD burner! I know NOTHING AT ALL about computers so please don't talk techy to me. I saw on ebay that there are external CD burners (as I would have no idea how to install  an internal one)! However, I'm not sure exactly what I need to be looking for in choosing one...all I want to do is burn music to a CD-R. So can someone help me out here? Thanks so much ahead of time!
      breadcrumb

The Dell OptiPlex 780 has four different models, and how easy it will be to deal with the problem will depend on the model.
      https://www.dell.com/community/image/serverpage/image-id/32885i7A6D39F9C94F4170?v=v2
      Identify which one you have, then look up its specs, or return here and I will.