Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: how can i reduce memory usage of FF, its 59%?  (Read 86662 times)

klxdrt

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Experienced
    how can i reduce memory usage of FF, its 59%?
    « on: September 05, 2021, 07:56:06 AM »
    Hi,  :)
    How can i reduce memory usage of FF, its 59%? That seems hi. Tried access mozillzine form.  Logged in ok but could not access sub forums. That's why i'm here.

Regards,
    klxdrt

Geek-9pm

Mastermind
    • Geek After Dark
      • Gekk9pm bnlog
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: how can i reduce memory usage of FF, its 59%?
    « Reply #1 on: September 05, 2021, 04:42:28 PM »
    Save bookmarks. Install new version o f Fire Fox.
    Or stop using Fire Fox.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    « Reply #2 on: September 07, 2021, 08:52:43 PM »
    First off How Much RAM does this system have?             59% might be normal if 8GB or less RAM.

I have noticed with Firefox that the longer the browser is open the larger the RAM consumption is... I personally close Firefox when done with it and relaunch the browser when I need it again. Systems with 8GB or more RAM while Firefox can grow to consuming up to around 4GB RAM there is little impact on the user experience as long as the CPU is decent to handle the memory juggle as the browser bloats caching data.

Chrome browser does far better at memory management as well as if its an older computer Chrome will run smoother than Firefox for example I recently installed Windows 10 64-bit to an Athlon 64 x2 1.9Ghz 3600+ CPU system with 6.5GB DDR2 RAM ( 3 x 2GB sticks + 512MB stick ) and Radeon HD5450 1GB Video Card and Firefox has a stutter to the slider bar on all web pages, yet Chrome runs smooth when using the slider bar to scroll up and down on a pages such as facebook.

Vetal

Rookie

• Experience: Beginner
      « Reply #3 on: September 12, 2021, 08:31:28 PM »

Hi,  :)
      How can i reduce memory usage of FF, its 59%? That seems hi. Tried access mozillzine form.  Logged in ok but could not access sub forums. That's why i'm here.

Regards,
      klxdrt

I recall seeing it said on another forum that memory usage of Firefox was lower on a flashdrive, meaning a portable version. I cannot attest to it, as I have never used browsers on flashdrives, and ditched Firefox when Mozilla Mothership sabotaged addons en masse, for the crappy web extensions. It couldn't hurt to look into it. Frankly I'd try out the derivatives, but then I've not been a fan of Firefox for many years, so zero user loyalty. Doing a Google search using 'how to reduce firefox memory usage' comes up with a lot, but nothing grabs me.