Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Volume control in Windows 10  (Read 4798 times)

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

Volume control in Windows 10
    « on: May 31, 2021, 02:46:29 AM »
    Whenever I need sound on my all-in-one HP PC, running under Windows 10, the volume slider shows a very low value, typically between 2 and 4.   So I have to keep increasing the volume every time I need sound.   I have tried Settings > System > Sound and set the volume to 22.   This works until I shut the machine down.   However, when I boot up the next day, sound levels have gone right down again.   How do I get it to keep the default sound level to 22?

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Volume control in Windows 10
    « Reply #1 on: May 31, 2021, 10:22:47 AM »
    When you go into Task Manager and Performance Tab and look at the "up time" of the computer, what does it say?

Wondering if its not saving your session and reverting to an old session vs last session. Thinking the "up time" would be an indicator of if this is what the cause is. My system even when rebooted the up-time keeps going up as the session is saved to disk for the system to be faster at boot from previous session.

Is this computer a clean build or a used computer that you purchased that may have a corporate policy setting applied the value low after reboot?

Attached is a screenshot of my system up-time which shows: ( 17 days 18 hours 41 minutes 13 seconds ) even though it has not been running for that long and has been rebooted or shut down since.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: June 01, 2021, 03:14:28 AM »
      The 'up time' seems to be 4 days.   I have attached what it does show.

It's a brand new computer.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: June 01, 2021, 02:41:46 PM »
      Does your HP all in one have volume buttons ? if so this over rides the windows Volume setting each boot. Try increasing the volume with the volume buttons.
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: June 04, 2021, 12:19:23 PM »
        There are no hard volume buttons.   There is just a loudspeaker icon at the bottom of the screen and when you click on it, it gives a slider control for the volume.    So I can adjust the volume that way.   However, it's a nuisance having to adjust it every time I boot up.   Is there a way of getting it to adopt a default volume?

DaveLembke

Sage
        « Reply #5 on: June 04, 2021, 03:03:08 PM »
        Might be able to alter it using PowerShell and set as a Local Group Policy change.

A version of Group Policy called Local Group Policy (LGPO or LocalGPO) allows Group Policy Object management without Active Directory on standalone computers

https://superuser.com/questions/984459/windows-10-registry-setting-for-volume-control

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
        • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
          • Yes
          • Yes
          • BC-Programming.com
        • Experience: Beginner
        « Reply #6 on: June 04, 2021, 04:58:01 PM »
        Perhaps the Boot/BIOS options of the system have an option that sets the volume at startup? It would be an odd option, granted, but I've seem strange options in the BIOS that I wouldn't expect.
        I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

Dronfieldman

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #7 on: June 10, 2021, 09:58:04 AM »
          Dave Lembke:  thanks for your reply.   However, your solution seems a bit complicated for someone with only my knowledge of computing and I don't want to risk inadvertently upsetting something on my PC;  so I think I'll live with adjusting the volume each time sound is needed.