Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: How to use Media Creation Tool on a USB to reinstall my OS  (Read 4537 times)

Dave

Topic Starter

Rookie

• Experience: Familiar
    How to use Media Creation Tool on a USB to reinstall my OS
    « on: June 11, 2021, 07:33:48 PM »
    I just want to be able to reinstall my win 10 os in case it gets fried or needs repair and it won't work. All I have to put the Media Creation Tool on is a 16 Gig usb stick. Once I get the tool on the usb stick how do I get to the command prompt since my OS is down. I assume I must get to the command prompt in order to run it. I have never done this before so I hope I am making sense. Thanks.

nil

• Global Moderator

• Intermediate
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: How to use Media Creation Tool on a USB to reinstall my OS
      « Reply #1 on: June 11, 2021, 08:01:52 PM »
      Power down the computer, insert the USB, and power on. Access the boot menu, or adjust the boot sequence in your BIOS to boot from the USB.

More info

https://www.computerhope.com/issues/ch000333.htm#how-to-boot
      Do not communicate by sharing memory; instead, share memory by communicating.

--Effective Go

Dave

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #2 on: June 11, 2021, 10:00:26 PM »
        Thanks so much, that is exactly what I needed to know.
        But there is something I do not understand. I went to the site to download the Tool and the instructions said I would need a Microsoft License to use the Tool. My pc came with Win 10 already on it and I never received a license. I never even received a Win 10 installation CD. In fact, since I heard Microsoft made Win 10 available for free, I didn't think a license was necessary. Is there any truth to this and will I have problems if I should ever need to reinstall win 10 from the  usb? Thanks
        « Last Edit: June 11, 2021, 10:23:13 PM by Dave »

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #3 on: June 11, 2021, 11:05:55 PM »
        If  your current copy shows it is activated to check
        use the type here to search and type " windows activation "
        Normally this will show that windows is activated with a digital license. If so you can install windows 10 of the same version to the same hardware as many times as you want.
        If you are asked for a license key when re installing just select you don't have one and it will complete the install and then when connected to the internet activate with the digital license.
        You can make the recovery pen drive from within windows.

From Microsoft website *************************************************************
         It's a good idea to create a recovery drive. That way, if your PC ever experiences a major issue such as hardware failure, you'll be able to use the recovery drive to reinstall Windows 10. Windows updates to improve security and PC performance periodically so it is recommended to recreate the recovery drive annually. Personal files and any applications that did not come with your PC will not be backed up. You'll need a USB drive that's at least 16 gigabytes.

Warning: Use an empty USB drive because this process will erase any data that's already stored on the drive.

To create a recovery drive in Windows 10:

In the search box next to the Start  button, search for Create a recovery drive and then select it. You might be asked to enter an admin password or confirm your choice.

When the tool opens, make sure Back up system files to the recovery drive is selected and then select Next.

Connect a USB drive to your PC, select it, and then select Next.

Select Create. Many files need to be copied to the recovery drive, so this might take a while.

If you ever need to use the recovery drive to reinstall Windows 10 on your PC, see Recovery options in Windows 10 for further instructions. It's a good idea to back up your files frequently because the recovery drive isn't a system image. It doesn't contain your personal files, settings, or programs.
        ********************************************************************************************

It is always a good idea to update the recovery drive as new updates  are installed.
        And a better idea is to make backups using say Easues todo backup https://www.easeus.com/backup-software/tb-free.html
        You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
        ― John Bunyan

Dave

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #4 on: June 12, 2021, 03:51:03 AM »
          I did as you suggested and checked activation. I am activated with a digital license so that is one less thing to worry about.
          I tried making a recovery usb to my 16 Gig usb drive but I kept  getting the error that Windows was unable to make the recovery drive but gave no reason why. I did the next best thing which was to store all my files on an external hard drive which is of 465 GB, it used all the Gig but 41.2 GB free. I could possibly make an image to that ext drive as it is 465 GB and with all my files on it there is 41.2 GB free. If I put all my files back on my pc (423.8 Gig) and made an Image instead to the ext hard drive which can hold 465 GIG and my pc hard drive is 931 GB so I should have 116.2 Gig left over on my hard drive. But I don't know if I figured things right and it seems to me that the margin there is very tight as far as running my system. So I don't know, what do you think my best option is? Keep my files on the ext hard drive and use the USB for the Media Creation Tool or put my files back on my pc hard drive (which leaves very little space on my pc hard drive) then try to create a system image on the ext hard drive? I know the best thing is to get more memory for my pc or a bigger ext hard drive but I live on a small island in Asia and I don't have ready options like that. I have to work with what I have.  Thanks.

Dave

Topic Starter

Rookie

« Reply #5 on: June 12, 2021, 05:04:43 PM »
            Ignore the above reply as I answered my own question. My ext hard drive of 500 gigs would not be big enough to hold an image of my pc with an extra 423.8 gigs added to it. Meh! Sorry.
            « Last Edit: June 12, 2021, 05:27:31 PM by Dave »