Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows won't shut down  (Read 2175 times)

Steveo

Windows won't shut down
« on: February 07, 2006, 06:02:15 AM »
When I go to turn off my machine, it locks up in the mode "Windows is now shutting down"
It's a brand new emachine model T6216.  I just hooked it up and I have this problem?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: Windows won't shut down
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 11:03:40 AM »
I'm guessing you are using Windows XP? When did this start? Have you scanned for viruses and Spyware? Have you been keeping-up with Windows Updates? So you have Service Pack 2 installed?

Flame

Steveo

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 11:09:48 AM »
Yes I have Windows XP-Home.  My problem existed immediately after my very first startup.  It is a Brand New Computer.  I did install a wireless internet card (Lynksys).  I'm not sure if I have Service Pack 2 installed?

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 12:54:40 PM »
    Right click on My Computer --Properties --General and see if there's Service Pack 2 words after Win XP...
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Maksim

Hopeful
      « Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 01:06:17 PM »
      Hi This might help... I had the same problem the only way to solve it is recover it... Every new machine comes with recovery CD's or DVD's... thats what i did and it solved it.... I mean there might be another solution but thats what i did to mine and it WORKS for about 4 years now and no prob.

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #5 on: February 07, 2006, 01:15:06 PM »
      My old computer and a friend's computer did the same thing once it was fresh. Run Windows Updates on http://www.microsoft.com ... Run a custom update, and install what you need.

Flame

CNovelo

« Reply #6 on: February 12, 2006, 11:00:41 AM »
      So if my XP version does say Service Pak 2.. what does that mean? What do I do?

Pavane

« Reply #7 on: February 12, 2006, 11:12:46 AM »
      Try first. Make system restore point then you look at freeware link below and use emptemp and ccleaner and also put user profile hive cleanup service on your system.

Right-click on your boot drive icon, drive C, and open properties then tools, now on error checking and check now and put x in both boxes then click on ok and let windows run [highlight]chkdsk[/highlight] when it reboots.

You can do this in run window too just type [highlight]chkdsk /r[/highlight] and then answer [highlight]Y[/highlight] and press enter.

Have you got all updates after sp2? There are many now.