Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Online Games FPS (Frames Per Second)  (Read 5228 times)

xXPyroMonsterXX

Online Games FPS (Frames Per Second)
« on: February 08, 2006, 07:01:46 PM »
This has been an issue with my computer for a year now :-[. Ill start from the beginning...
Two years ago I played Counter Strike and it worked just fine, later on I went to play World of Warcraft and my FPS was just awful. People said it was my RAM, so I went out and bought another stick of 254 so I had 512 RAM, more than enough to run the game (double). The game ran just fine for a day then my computer got worse again. People said it was my video card now. I have a GeForce 3 and yes I relize its not the best but it still works and I do upgrade it. This problem still continued even when I got a GeForce 4. They said it is my computer now, my GHz couldnt handlew the game. So I relized I wasnt going to get a new computer for awhile I would go back to Counter Strike (present). Now my computer barly runs Counter Strike... I am gitting 9 FPS now... I found out that the more people I am around the less FPS I get. Now people on Counter Strike are saying it's my Video Card!     Here are my specs.

Windows XP Home Addition
Intel (R) 4 CPU 1700MHz
1.69 GHz (bought in 99 I think) 512MB of RAM
Video Card: GeForce 4
Comcast Internet Connection.

A game that was once fine on my computer sucks now. Every day my computer gets worse. I think it is because it is old and I need a new one no more upgrades.... Am I right or wrong? If I am wrong what is the problem?

GX1_Man

Re: Online Games FPS (Frames Per Second)
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 04:09:01 AM »
Do all of this and be sure and run ccleaner too! How much free space do you have on the drive? Defragged lately?

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

www.ccleaner.com
« Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 04:09:36 AM by GX1_Man »

xXPyroMonsterXX

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 07:58:46 AM »
Do all of this and be sure and run ccleaner too! How much free space do you have on the drive? Defragged lately?

http://www.computerhope.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi?num=1134123580

www.ccleaner.com

I have cleaned my computer and i have like 40 Gig left on my hard drive *half full computer*
I cleaned internet cookies I defragged like so many times. I reformated like 6 times.
I will try the ccleaner when I get home though because I am at school. Thanks for the link.
If this cleaner doesnt work would It be my  computer? Because im like sooo close to smashing
this one to pieces and buying a new one :-/.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 08:34:59 AM »
"New" won't solve it for long. You need to deal with the underlying issues, or you will be back soon enough. ;)

Try the other scans mentioned as well. You need to start with a clean system.

xXPyroMonsterXX

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 04:08:43 PM »
yeah but I cleaned my system out soo many times with different softwhere I dont really think that is the issue :-[. I tried that CCleaner and that didnt work neather :-[. I even took it apart 5 times to dust it. *once last night*

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    « Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 09:56:06 PM »
    Do you have much junk running in the background?

xXPyroMonsterXX

« Reply #6 on: February 11, 2006, 09:05:54 AM »
    Do you have much junk running in the background?

No, nothing in my background = \. This is a problem I had for a year I checked EVERYTHING basicly.... So is it my crapy computer or not.....

GX1_Man

« Reply #7 on: February 11, 2006, 09:37:16 AM »
    If it used to work fine and now it doesn't, you either have a software or a configuration problem. If nothing else changed there is no other explanation. Wear and tear or old age does not do this.

What could have changed?

Fed

• Sage
      « Reply #8 on: February 11, 2006, 01:24:57 PM »
      Do the games play OK when you are not playing online?

xXPyroMonsterXX

« Reply #9 on: February 13, 2006, 08:23:36 AM »
      If it used to work fine and now it doesn't, you either have a software or a configuration problem. If nothing else changed there is no other explanation. Wear and tear or old age does not do this.

What could have changed?

Nothing could have changed that I can think of except my card and the RAM... Im just going to buy a new computer because im done with this....

Another thing!! I cant paly a game on my computer anymore unless its online! Definatly gitting a new computer....

Things I have done to help this piece of crap...
      Reformatted:       around 7 times
      Defragged:          over 50
      CleanSweep:       over 100
      Dusted:               5 times
      VirusSweep:        about 16
      SpybotSweep:      about 46
      Asked for help:    500 times... *dont know how many times exactly.... but more than 50*

Yeah I am definatly done with this computer... thanks for trying to help my problem but I guess it just cannot be fixed.....

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: February 13, 2006, 04:38:21 PM »
      Send it to me. I'll bet I can make it purr.  ;)

Fed

• Sage
        « Reply #11 on: February 13, 2006, 11:15:02 PM »
        Don't give up, with a clean install and all drivers, patches, SPs & directx updated it should run as good as it ever has offline.
        Any online slowdowns after that should be attributed to the connection between you & the game server or the game server itself.