Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Clear Boot Sector from Drive  (Read 2861 times)

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
    Clear Boot Sector from Drive
    « on: February 09, 2006, 08:17:20 AM »
    Hi,

I just removed my primary operating system hard drive and replaced it with a new unit.  I installed Windows 2000 Server on the new primary drive and want to use the old drive for data storage.  The old drive has several partitions with existing data, which I don't want to disturb, plus it has the old system partition.  

I removed the old verson of Windows 2000 Server from that system partition; however, it apparently didn't clean the boot sector because the partition is still listed as 'Healthy(System)' partition in my Disk Management utility.

Is there a way I can clean this so it becomes listed as 'Healthy' instead of 'Healthy(System)' in the Disk Management utility without disturbing the other partitions?  

Thanks for your help!

p.

GX1_Man

Re: Clear Boot Sector from Drive
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:32:14 PM »
    Why don't you just copy the data files to the new hard drive, and then repartition and format the slave drive any way you want, and then copy the data files back there? This seems the easiest and best soluion.  ;)

peergynt

Topic Starter

Rookie
      « Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 03:01:16 PM »
      I am trying to avoid shuffling pictures back and forth because I don't want to lose resolution needlessly.  Of course, I've copied them onto CDs in case the drive crashes, but I'd still like to keep the originals intact.

I kind of figured I wouldn't be able to clear the boot sector without reformatting the whole disk -- just hoping there'd be some tool I hadn't heard of yet ;)  

It's just something I'll have to live with then.  I suppose that having the system partition on the drive won't hurt anything.  

Thanks for your reply!

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 05:44:21 PM »
      As long as it is functional, then.