Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Loading Win xp problem/ dos  (Read 3943 times)

williamsan

Loading Win xp problem/ dos
« on: February 09, 2006, 10:53:51 AM »
Can someone please tell me what may be the problem with the following, I am trying to load winxp, on a pc, I put the boot disk in the a drive and boot from the floppy, then I typed smartdv , and then I try to change to the directory with the winxp cd by typing (cd d:\) but it will only change to the directory only for a brief moment then it defaults back to a:\.  So I am unable to run the file i386 on the cd drive.   Is there something wrong with the cd drive??  I have tried typing cd d:\, e:\, f:\, etc...nothing works, it keeps defaulting to the a:\.   PLEASE HELP, THIS SEEMS SO SIMPLE.  THANKS    :-?

Fed

• Sage
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: Loading Win xp problem/ dos
    « Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 12:20:16 PM »
    Your winxp disk is bootable, you need do no more than set your cdrom as 1st boot device and boot with the xp disk in.
    « Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 12:21:40 PM by Fed »

williamsan

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 02:03:27 PM »
    Ok sounds like that would work, but how do I set the cdrom as the 1st boot device? :-?

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 02:07:09 PM »
       williamsan......  Go into the bios ....... and change the boot sequence to cd-rom first boot ......then save the changes and exit ...... Place the win xp disk in the cd -rom and reboot ..... ( If your cd is bootable it will do the rest ) .....
      Please only post in one section ...it just confuses everyone .

dl65  ::)
      « Last Edit: February 09, 2006, 02:07:31 PM by dl65 »
      If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

williamsan

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 02:11:55 PM »
      Ohh ok sorry for posting in multiply sections.  

Ok so to go into the bios, I hit F2 when the system boots right?  This is where I can change this right?

GX1_Man

« Reply #5 on: February 09, 2006, 02:40:26 PM »
      If you have a Dell, that is true. What computer or motherboard make/model?

williamsan

« Reply #6 on: February 09, 2006, 05:30:35 PM »
      it is a dell, but not sure what mother board, this computer was given to me recently.  I am getting ready to try this now since I am home now. Thanks, will let you know what happens.

williamsan

« Reply #7 on: February 09, 2006, 05:43:03 PM »
      I set the boot sequence to the cd drive but now when I boot up, I get "strike F1 to retry boot, F2 for setup utility"  does this mean the cd is not a boot cd? what do I do now?

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 09, 2006, 06:19:45 PM »
      First get the service tag from the outside of the case (a 6 digit or so series of numbers and letters) or get it from the the bottom right hand corner of the screen when you press the key for setup.

Once we know that, we can advise.

williamsan

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 06:26:52 PM »
      ok it is JZJ5F11

GX1_Man

« Reply #10 on: February 10, 2006, 04:16:48 AM »
      OK, you have a GX240. F2 to get in the BIOS screen and under boot sequence, you indicate CD first, floppy second, hard drive third. Hit escape to save changes and exit. Put the CD in the drive when you reboot and off you go, No boot floppies needed.

Is that a real Windows CD you have there?

williamsan

« Reply #11 on: February 10, 2006, 06:16:41 AM »
      Ok I did that, however under the bios boot sequence selection I can only check or uncheck the cd, floppy, and hard drive, so I should check all 3???  Anyway I have checked and unchecked all 3 options and that still did not work and I saved my changes too.

The cd I have is a copy of Windows xp, but when I did it on my other computer it worked fine, but I had to boot with the floppy and switch the drive to get the setup file off of the cd.  So hummm...I guess I will try another windows cd, once I find one.    Do you think that is the problem???

But you know, I was upgrading my other computer from win98 to winxp, do you think that is why it worked on that one and not this one?

GX1_Man

« Reply #12 on: February 10, 2006, 06:20:51 PM »
      It's got more to do with order once they are checked. You can rearrange this.

If that is a bootleg CD all bets are off. It may be missing some files. If you have to copy the files off the CD, you have at least 2 other problems.