Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Hard Drive Crash - Dont be so quick to destroy the drive - Power Supply Issue  (Read 19563 times)

DaveLembke

Topic Starter

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Just figured I'd share this as I had a system that had crashed and it acted like the hard drive died. I grabbed a 400 GB SATA drive from a stack of used drives that i have that should be healthy and began building Windows 10 to that 400GB drive to which part way through I started getting the clunk of death and I assumed that the 400 GB drive wasnt healthy from the stack of available used drives. So I installed another drive into the system this time a 320 GB drive and started to install Windows 10 to that to which point I took the 2 drives that I believed were bad and stuck them into a vice and hit them with a small sledgehammer shattering the aluminum HDD body and warping the platters and put them into the metal recycle bucket. Came back to the computer and the 320 GB was boot looping to Windows 10 and crash.

Checked the voltages and the 5VDC was healthy but the 12VDC was 10.2 Volts. I was surprised the main board was functioning properly with the fact that the CPU has the 4-pin 12VDC molex connection and the 12 volts is saved between CPU and all other 12 volt components.

So Lesson Learned.... Don't be so fast to destroy a drive that you feel is bad until your sure that the problem was really caused by a bad hard drive and not a power supply!  ::)