Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Dragging Over Disconnected Drives  (Read 15650 times)

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
  • Disarmingly Good-looking
  • Experience: Familiar
Dragging Over Disconnected Drives
« on: November 30, 2021, 12:09:39 PM »
I have a few drives mapped in Windows Explorer that I am only sporadically connected to. (i.e., My A: drive at home, my B: drive at work).

When I am dragging files from the Right side of Explorer to a folder on the Left tree, sometimes I accidentally wipe over one of the unconnected drives. Note, I'm not trying to drop into those drives, it's just that the icon I am dragging passes over the icon of the drive.

This freezes everything - even if I keep moving. It's just the simple motion of being "over" a drive that isn't there that scares Windows. Sometimes if I wait the "(Not Responding)" goes away, but more often than not, I have to restart Windows Explorer.

Other than, you know, NOT doing this, is there a "fix" for this?
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

DaveLembke

Sage
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Dragging Over Disconnected Drives
« Reply #1 on: November 30, 2021, 03:08:57 PM »
Are they dragged via Touch Pad or Holding Mouse Click? I have seen issues where touch pad used to drag a file drags intermittently as in its not continually held and so windows assumes its been dropped even when you dont want it to be. Might be as easy as using a mouse instead if not already using mouse.

Other thought is to organize your drive layout in a way that makes lesser frequent connected drives not in the direct path of a drag and drop motion.

Lastly if supported to simply right-click to COPY & PASTE and then paste to selected location ( or ) right-click and select CUT and PASTE to a location might work out better to avoid Windows assuming that you want to pass the file to a disconnected mapped location.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #2 on: November 30, 2021, 10:10:14 PM »
Yeah, frequently it's also coz I'm dragging a file to the taskbar to upload it to a web portal.

It IS a touchpad, I think I'm pretty steady but who the heck knows. Haven't used a mouse in probably 17 years.

Don't know how to better organize the tree so A and B drives don't show - open to suggestions.

Thanks
Dan: You're gonna need to get someone to fix my computer.                     Kim: What's wrong with it?                     Dan: It's in several pieces on my floor.

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
  • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
    • Yes
    • Yes
    • BC-Programming.com
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #3 on: December 01, 2021, 02:44:28 AM »
When you drag over a drive, windows accesses the drive to evaluate it as a drop target. Since it is accessing the drive, Windows attempt to reconnect the drive in order to do so.

You'll see similar behaviour if you hover over a USB drive that has gone to sleep. Windows Explorer will hang until the drive spins up and Windows is able to access the drive.

I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

rjbinney

Topic Starter

Adviser
« Reply #4 on: December 01, 2021, 12:47:02 PM »
Yeah it's just in a position where my "natural" way of dragging catches it. Trying to retrain myself, but was hoping there was a Big Tech solution.