Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Where is my keyboard jack input ?  (Read 2685 times)

whitehorse2k

Topic Starter

Rookie
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    Where is my keyboard jack input ?
    « on: February 10, 2006, 09:15:49 PM »
    My son purchased  a used old computer from the pawnshop, however, I can,t find the keyboard jack input. I wanted to do some up dating on it but no keyboard. What can I do ?  

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      Re: Where is my keyboard jack input ?
      « Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 11:34:39 PM »
      It's on the back.  :)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
        • Yes
      • Certifications: List
      • Experience: Guru
      « Reply #2 on: February 11, 2006, 07:38:09 AM »
      Usually it's an orange or green colored slot. Maybe even purple. Look next to the mouse slot.

Flame

T-Chai

« Reply #3 on: February 11, 2006, 08:03:56 AM »
      A: Power Connector - The power connector is a 3-prong male connector which enables you to connect a power cable to the computer Port A to obtain power from an electrical outlet. (See diagram above).

B: Power Supply Fan - The power supply fan provides adequate ventilation for the power supply by exhausting hot air from it.

C: Mouse Port - The mouse is a pointing device that enables you to move and select items on the screen. It is the most commonly used pointing device. The mouse is connected to Port C. (See diagram above). This port is also called a mini-DIN or PS/2 connector. Click here for great prices on Mice.

D: Keyboard Port - The keyboard is one of the input devices that allows you to enter instructions and information into a computer.
      The keyboard is connected to Port D. (See diagram above). This port is also known as the mini-DIN or PS/2 connector. The older computers came with a larger port known as a DIN connector.
      For a computer peripheral such as a keyboard or a mouse, Click Here.

E: USB Port - (USB) Acronym for Universal Serial Bus. This Port is an external bus that supports data transfer rates of up to 12 Mbps.
      This port can connect up to 127 peripherals (such as mice, modems, keyboards, etc.) all at once. It also enables hot-swapping which is being able to connect and disconnect peripherals without powering down the PC. Click here to read about USB Ports.

F: Parallel Port (Printer Port) - The parallel port is a 25-pin female connector (DB-25). It is an interface for connecting external devices such as a printers and computers that require relatively high bandwidth. It supports bi-directional communications.

G: Serial Port (COM Port) - This port is an interface for serial communication being transmitted at 1 bit at a time. This port can be used to connect a computer peripheral such as a modem, mouse, etc.

H: Game Port - The game port is a 15-pin female analog port used to connect game controllers such as joysticks. It can also be used as a Musical Instrument Digital Interface (MIDI) Port for connecting a computer peripheral such as a synthesizer and is located on the sound card.

I: Monitor Port - The monitor is a very important computer peripheral that displays images and text generated by the computer. The monitor is connected to Port I which is a 15-pin female connector. (See diagram above). Click Here for great deals on Monitors.

J: Ethernet Port - The ethernet port accepts an ethernet cable which allows you to communicate on a network that runs Transmission Control Protocol/Internet Protocol(TCP/IP).
      This port resembles a regular phone jack but is slightly wider and is generally located on the Network Interface Card (NIC) or integrated on the motherboard.

K: Modem - The word 'Modem' is a contraction of the words Modulator-Demodulator. It is typically used to send digital data over a phone line. If you want to be able to surf the Internet or send or receive email, your computer system will need one. Click here to see my Modem Guide.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
        • Me
      • Experience: Expert
      « Reply #4 on: February 12, 2006, 01:54:23 AM »
      On older PCs the keyboard socket will not be a five pin DIN socket, a fair bit larger than PS/2.  If you only have a PS/2 keyboard, you can buy an adapter from most good PC suppliers.
      Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos