Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: stop error message  (Read 4475 times)

lannj

stop error message
« on: February 14, 2006, 09:39:13 AM »
okay well here we go i tried to reformatt this pc that had win 98 on it all went well until ! it restarted and now i am getting the blue screen of death  :'( :'( saying that 000007bdll\??\c:\windows\system32\sfcfiles.dll is not a valid windows image and i have to disable bios cache and memory shadowing ? help! i do have the win 2000 emergency disk and back ups but i dont want to continue without some advice . can anyone help please! :-/

GX1_Man

Re: stop error message
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 06:03:14 PM »
I am not clear on this. The machine had Win 98 but you are trying to install Windows 2000. Is that a shiny legal Windows CD? Is it an upgrade version?

In any case, you can boot from the Win2000 CD and delete all partitions and recreate them to install to. If an upgrade the install will ask you to briedly insert the Win98 CD.

lannj

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 07:30:08 PM »
I am not clear on this. The machine had Win 98 but you are trying to install Windows 2000. Is that a shiny legal Windows CD? Is it an upgrade version?

In any case, you can boot from the Win2000 CD and delete all partitions and recreate them to install to. If an upgrade the install will ask you to briedly insert the Win98 CD.
hello thanks for the reply and yes its a  legal win 2000 proffessional cd , uh, microsoft says you get this message when your cd is scratched but i had it professionally repaired and it still will not go past the win 2000 start up menu. i have done everything it will let me into the bios , and of course win 2000 options but wont even start in safe mode , i am stumped. after the stop message it says if problem continues disable , or remove any newly installed hardware or software. Disable bios memory , options such as caching or shadowing or go to safe mode. I dont know i cant figure it out ive tried everything like i said and no luck , hoping someone had this error before. P.S. yes i just put win 2000 in and said i wanted to upgrade it went through all the proceedures on last start up it went to the stop message? thanks leanne.

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:49:25 AM »
So you are booting from the CD or just inserting it after the machine is running?

Can you make a copy of the CD for installation purposes? I would try that next.

You can also copy the files from i386 folder to the hard drive after formatting and start from there, but this should not be necessary.