Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: FPS Drops  (Read 19473 times)

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

• Experience: Beginner
    FPS Drops
    « on: November 17, 2021, 05:56:39 PM »
    Hi, I'd like to ask for your help. For the last month or so, I've been experiencing a completely random fps drop from 250 to 20 for a second here and there and it's always a microlag and it can really piss me off. Never had this happen to me before. I don't know what it could absolutely be, temps are perfectly fine, oc gpu none, I tried uninstalling drivers, running pc antivirus and nothing helped at all. My game always runs smoothly at around 200fps and every now and then it drops like this it's not regular, it's always really completely random as ever. I play at a "high level" and I do a lot of competetive and every such fps drop really sucks for me in some situations.

i5 9400F ( fan cpu Spartan 3 PRO HE1024)
    GTX 1660 SUPER
    16GB DDR4 2666
    Patriot Burst, 2,5" - 960GB
    MSI H310M PRO-VDH PLUS
    be quiet 500w 80+ bronze
    Evolveo T3

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

Re: FPS Drops
      « Reply #1 on: November 18, 2021, 08:09:26 AM »
      I forgot to add, it's doing this to me in league of legends

patio

• Genius
      • Maud' Dib
        • Yes
      « Reply #2 on: November 18, 2021, 08:33:14 AM »
      The PSU looks to be the weak link in that setup...borrow a quality one to test.
      " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #3 on: November 18, 2021, 08:53:02 AM »
        Hello, thanks for the reply
        Could there really be a fault in the psu ?
        Lots of people are happy with it and have a much more powerful pc build.
        For other games I never have any fps drops (assassins creed valhalla, New World, Borderlands3 etc.. )

patio

• Genius
        • Maud' Dib
          • Yes
        « Reply #4 on: November 18, 2021, 04:41:16 PM »
        See my suggestion
        " Anyone who goes to a psychiatrist should have his head examined. "

DaveLembke

Sage
        • Certifications: List
        • Computer: Specs
        • Experience: Expert
        « Reply #5 on: November 18, 2021, 09:29:57 PM »
        I'd stress test the hardware. My favorite is the Passmark 14-day trial. Run it through all tests and multiple times and see that the results show close results each time run for about 10 full tests back to back to really heat it up good and draw heavy from the power supply.

I had a system that tapped out when it was running the DirectX 12 test with it black screening and boot loop after the 4th test back to back and it was my power supply not able to keep up with the heavy draw of my high end at the time video card of a GTX 780 Ti.

https://www.passmark.com/products/performancetest/index.php

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #6 on: November 19, 2021, 12:13:08 PM »
          Hey, thanks for the advice.
          I ran 10 tests in a row and there was no problem, I tried to follow every step by step but I didn't notice anything, no fps drops, no stutter everything ran smoothly every test and temperatures still fine too.

https://gyazo.com/39ac520ac20c6973f48fa209aa4e1a67

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #7 on: November 19, 2021, 12:56:01 PM »
            @patio
            Why do you think the Be quiet! System Power 9 - 500W 80 + bronze bad ? A lot of people who know about pc's have recommended it to me in terms of price/performance The only thing was that I could take 600w instead of 500w if I wanted to do an upgrade in the future

DaveLembke

Sage
            « Reply #8 on: November 21, 2021, 02:51:54 PM »
            Interesting.... I was expecting the DirectX 12 testing to trigger the problem as it really makes the Videocard work full tilt and pulls heavily from the power supply. I connected one of those Kill-a-Watt devices to my computer when running this benchmark and its amazing how DirectX 12 pulls far heavier power draw than the prior DirectX tests that are bundled in with the testing of that Passmark benchmark software. Gaming system I have pulled like 370 watts on the DirectX 11 test, and then when it runs DirectX 12 it pulled continuous 465 watts during the test. Then when test was over it came to rest at 140-160 watts idle as the systems Cool n' Quiet kicked in and underclocked the CPU and GPU went to rest idle state.

You mentioned: "For other games I never have any fps drops (assassins creed valhalla, New World, Borderlands3 etc.. )"

This kind of problem your probably going to have to swap parts until you find cause as it can be just a combination of hardware that randomly doesnt play well with LoL. Not the answer anyone ever wants to hear when faced with a problem like this. It might make more sense to run League of Legends on a different computer that has a continuous frame rate that is acceptable and LoL doesnt have any heavy hardware requirements, and so a cheap solution vs replacing higher end components at a cost may be to buy a refurb or put in use a computer already available or from a friend their older computer that is capable of playing LoL at an ok framerate. The power supply swap that Patio suggested is the cheapest component to try a swap of to see if it cures it, but with it running 10 iterations of DirectX 12 and no hiccups its starting to look like an issue with LoL and hardware combination such as a Videocard or Driver Bug with LoL.

Myself, if I had this issue with just the one game and I didnt want to buy parts at a cost of that it "could" fix the issue or might not, I'd get a 2nd computer that is capable of running it that has a different videocard and possibly driver combination as refurb computers these days are so cheap and the Intel HD Graphics of the Core i3, i5, and i7's is actually not that bad if you dont need the games to be run on max resolution and frame rates over 60fps.  My girlfriend plays LoL on her Core i5-4590 Dell Optiplex 7020 Tower with 8GB RAM and 256GB SSD + 1TB HDD running Windows 10 64-bit and she is getting 60fps last I checked on the Intel HD 4600 Graphics. we picked up this computer refurb from Amazon last christmas for $119.00

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #9 on: November 22, 2021, 08:43:22 AM »
              Thank you for your reply.
              I'd rather just be interested in how it would be resolved if I replaced the power supply, since nothing crashes with much more demanding games. I didn't feel anything during the test you posted either.
              I really don't see what the problem could be anymore, I've had this pc for a year and it only started to go wrong this month.

I guess I'm being naive, but couldn't the monitor be at fault somehow as well?

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #10 on: November 22, 2021, 04:22:25 PM »
                Also the thing is that I don't want to invest in another computer at the moment, I used to play for a long time on a 75hz monitor and it was not enough for me, I'm currently using 144hz and 60 fps is really not enough for me in league of legends, so I bought a better computer to use the monitor to the fullest and as I wrote, I'm also doing a lot of
                competetive gaming and I need everything to work stable. My friend has a much worse computer ( some 1050ti and an i3) and plays on basically the same graphics settings, but never has any glitches..

I really don't know, I'll probably try again to reinstall the gpu drivers and completely delete the whole game + config and re-download.
                « Last Edit: November 22, 2021, 04:43:21 PM by Dejva1999 »

DaveLembke

Sage
                « Reply #11 on: November 23, 2021, 03:42:18 PM »
                The monitor will only display what the video card sends to it and so I don't believe it to be the monitor as it only shows whats sent from the video card in real time. *There is a refresh rate that monitors have, but never seen one with a lagging refresh rate to simulate a video card lag before. If you have another display kicking around that can run at the settings that you like, you can try that route, but i don't see  the monitor as the cause just because I've yet to ever see a monitor as the cause for lag that is intermittent as well as ... selectively only happens with League of Legends as for a hardware failure with a monitor wouldn't be selective to a game when other games are more demanding than LoL.

Sorry I am unable to be of further assistance on this matter, but i will keep an eye out for if you have further questions on this. It truly is a very strange issue in that its only LoL and a hardware/driver combination with that game I feel.

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #12 on: November 24, 2021, 07:21:49 AM »
                  I will be changing my motherboard, I will be installing ASRock B365M Pro4
                  Maybe this will solve the problem somehow, after all I have been advised more than once to change the motherboard, because the one I currently have is designed more for an office pc and is not good for gaming
                  Anyway, thank you very much.

Dejva1999

Topic Starter

Greenhorn

« Reply #13 on: December 01, 2021, 04:29:04 PM »
                    I'm on my sixth day of playing with a new monitor that has 144Hz and is g-sync compatible because the old one didn't suit me and this one has a much nicer picture and overall a lot more features and not once have I noticed any fps drop or image tearing when playing on this monitor, how is that possible?