Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Windows 98 sound  (Read 4509 times)

solar_powered

Windows 98 sound
« on: February 11, 2006, 03:42:41 PM »
My computer recently died (not sure what happened) and my dad reinstalled Windows 98 on it.  However, the computer has no sound.  We're basically clueless - not sure how to tell if the problem is with the drivers or the sound card or what.  I'd like to figure out what kind of drivers I need and whether or not I have them.  I'm not sure where to start - help, please?

GX1_Man

Re: Windows 98 sound
« Reply #1 on: February 11, 2006, 03:52:39 PM »
We've got you covered. Please post computer or motherboard make/model as well as sound card info. If unsure, download and run Everest (it's free) and see many important details about your machine. Then we will find the drivers. You WILL have sound again.

http://www.majorgeeks.com/download4181.html

solar_powered

« Reply #2 on: March 04, 2006, 12:46:10 PM »
Sorry this has taken so long - I hope someone can still help?

The computer is a Dell Dimension desktop XPS T450.  The motherboard says Intel Seattle II SE440BX-2, and the sound card says Aureal Montego II Sound Card.

solar_powered

« Reply #4 on: March 04, 2006, 01:48:24 PM »
Thanks, but it still isn't working.  I followed the instructions on the Dell site for downloading it and unzipping it into the C:\dell\drivers\r20109 folder (which it did have to create).  But after that, I'm not getting the pop-up window that's supposed to have installation instructions.  The setup icon in the newly created folder doesn't do anything when I click, either...

Backdated

« Reply #5 on: March 04, 2006, 02:02:02 PM »
Is there a setup file inside the folder that was created? If so, open Control Panel>System>Device Manager and remove the card. It will be there with a yellow "!" by the side of it. Now run that setup file.

If there is no setup file, but a .inf file, right click on the card in Device Mnager and select "Update Driver". Point it to the folder where the files are stored.

solar_powered

« Reply #6 on: March 04, 2006, 04:12:42 PM »
That works!  Thanks very much.