Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: looking for a noble cause?  (Read 5239 times)

serrated_halo

looking for a noble cause?
« on: February 02, 2006, 02:09:17 PM »
The nation's largest telephone and cable companies are crafting an alarming set of strategies that would transform the free, open and nondiscriminatory Internet of today to a privately run and branded service that would charge a fee for virtually everything we do online.

This is the lead of a fairly long article about the possible fate of the internet if the corps have their way.  I'm not sure if I can post a link so I'll have the URL below with a gap or two.  

This issue could use some creative and hardworking hands to help curb the corps from controlling one of the few open forums the people still have.  However you combat this situation is up to you, but I thought this was an issue that deserved attention; so please check this out and MAKE A MOVE!

make sure you take out the gaps in the url   :)

http://www.   commondreams.   org/views06/0202-26.   htm

R0SS

Re: looking for a noble cause?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 01:51:04 PM »
It should probably have always remained in the military domain for home defence and never have been used by private profit makers.

[smiley=tekst-toppie.gif]   You took the words right out of my mouth.

R0SS

serrated_halo

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 02:18:26 PM »
  i agree...  i think its purist function of the internet is communication,  and information sharing and gathering, but it's been turned into a conglomo billboard...  i also read today that AOL & Yahoo are going to start charging companies 1/4 cent to 1 cent per email they send as a form of e-postage and special treatment will be given to those emails... they say it is to combat spammers but spam is actually down 75% (can you tell?) since 2003...  but that is the reason they say they are doing this and fail to mention the (literally) hundreds of millions of dollars they will make from it...
  bellsouth and AT&T (a close yahoo.com ally) are pushing senators to deregulate some FCC rules (not sure which ones) to allow them to charge services involving large bandwidth like movies or music per/download... there is a "Net Nuetrality" movement attempting to keep bandwidth neutral and prevent some data from being given preferential treatment, but AT&T is HUGE and i'm sure they've got plenty of lobbyists prepared to give the senate and house plenty of charts and graphs about how much money they are losing due to this free exchange of electronic data packets...  
 :o
« Last Edit: February 05, 2006, 02:23:39 PM by serrated_halo »

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 02:46:49 PM »
BS. I thought you were Mac's brother.

MacPeter

Peter

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 02:29:37 AM »
Ever wondered if it is you who are crazy?

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 02:31:34 PM »
I'm starting to think every one of you are on something... Please stop this foolishness...  :P

Flame

GX1_Man

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 05:31:21 PM »
Ever wondered if it is you who are crazy?

Nope. Just worried about you.

R0SS

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 04:39:32 PM »
No peter its only you that is going crazy.

Take my vord for it ya.

R0SS