Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: PC crashes, main SSD disappears from BIOS, but comes back if PC turned off  (Read 13058 times)

chad

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • Woo Woo
    Hi. I have a Gigabyte board Z370M D3H. Primary drive with Win10 OS is an SSD, secondary is a 4TB storage drive.

Computer has operated fine for 2 years since build.
    It does turn on and run with Windows 10 quite fine. But it lags. slows, then crashes at some random point. Re-starts and tells me to select different drive to boot.
    When crashing and re-starting and opening the BIOS, I cannot find the SSD with operating system as the SSD disappears from BIOS options.

A quick unplug from wall and re-start and SSD re-appears but now, as the secondary drive so just selecting the SSD as the Primary drive fixes this. Until 20 minutes later when a random crash and we go back to Square One.

I have swapped SATA ports on the board but can't try a new cable - could it be this simple as a cable issue?

I have seen the Gigabyte driver page but there are 40-50 drivers to choose, some for SATA issues, could this be a fix? I don't want to create new issues.

PC works fine around this issue.

Thanks for any hints/tips.

DaveLembke

Sage
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: PC crashes, main SSD disappears from BIOS, but comes back if PC turned off
    « Reply #1 on: December 03, 2021, 02:48:57 PM »
    Thinking either the SSD is failing on you or the power supply is dipping in voltage and causing system to mess up and then the SSD to go out to lunch. I would download Crystal Disk Info and see what the health of the SSD is. If the SSD is reporting with a failure it will show in yellow or red with the issues. If it passed the Crystal Disk Info check then I would look into swapping out the SSD anyways with another healthy drive and see if the problem goes away just in case the issue is not being recorded in its S.M.A.R.T data. If problem continues with a different drive and this original SSD removed from the system I would then go the path of power supply replacement as I have had a borderline power supply before cause this exact issue to occur with one or my Core i5 systems. For that system it started off crashing with HDD and SSD pair. I removed the HDD and had it only on SSD and it crashed. I then placed HDD in and no SSD and would get same results. Swapped out the Dell power supply and then problem resolved. Was able to put the drives back in and ran fine.