Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Speech to text on Windows 10?  (Read 26127 times)

Geek-9pm

Topic Starter

Mastermind
  • Geek After Dark
    • Gekk9pm bnlog
  • Certifications: List
  • Computer: Specs
  • Experience: Expert
Speech to text on Windows 10?
« on: December 25, 2021, 10:43:23 PM »
Speech  to text on Windows 10?  :-\

Hello folks! I am using Dragon naturally speaking to write this post first in notepad and then I will into the screen on the forum and post it. As many of you already know, I like to use Dragon Naturally Speaking because it is easier for me to write correctly using it instead of trying to touch type. Yes, I do know how to touch type, but a number of years ago I lost sight in one eye and I make too many mistakes when trying to touch type.
Anyhow, that's not the point of this post anyway, just a short of explanation of why Dragon Naturally Speaking has been so important to me and I need your help to find a workaround.
Here's the problem. My DNS is installed on Windows 7. I've been told that my version of DNS is conversion 12.5 and does not work on Windows 10. So I'm not even going to try to put it on Windows 10 unless somebody knows of a suitable workaround.
The next option would be to buy a new copy of Dragon for price of $200. I really don't like that at all. This is a program I bought years ago and I paid for it and its mind but I cannot up credit with a small incremental price increase. I went to their site and they recommended I buy the new version of that  program. You might think I am at at them. Just very disappointed.

Now then here's my question. Could I get some other speech to text program at a much lower cost that I can use on Windows 10?
The problem is that Windows 7 is no longer supported and some programs I need to not run well on Windows 7. But my older version of Dragon NaturallySpeaking works perfectly well in Windows 7. Some of the programs I like to use for research note work so well on Windows 7. So what I want to do some study and investigation and maybe write something about what I've learned, I'm Kino Limited is what I can do. I do my research on Windows 10 and then have to boot up Windows 7 to dictate what I've learned. I've even thought about using to computers. Yet I have a hard time grassy how I can use to computers running today are operating systems and transfer files back and forth I guess it could be done, but I'm just not used to doing my work that way. I like to be able to work with just one computer and one operating system.

I really hope you understand what my intention is. I really like to dictate things instead of trying to type them out. It is so, so much faster to talk instead of type.
One thing I have tried is Google Docs. But there is a learning curve that I have trouble climbing. What about your experience? Do you ever use voice dictation on your projects? What is your favorite speech to text program?
By the way, for what it's worth, one program I like to use can run on Windows 7 asset immolation using the that android thing. I understand you can run an android emulator in Windows 7 and run some android programs that are free. One of the programs I depend on quite a bit is a free program on android and Windows. But requires Windows 10 for the current version. See what I mean?

All right, enough of my banter. Please give me your best ideas about how I can use a text to speech program and also use my Windows 10 for researcher like to do.

I would really appreciate it. Thank you for reading this post.

ulrichburke

Greenhorn

Re: Speech to text on Windows 10?
    « Reply #1 on: January 07, 2022, 05:45:15 AM »
    Dear Geek-9pm.

Yup, there's a free speech-to-text called DeepSpeech HERE....

https://github.com/mozilla/DeepSpeech

It's a totally legit. freebie but, being GitHub, they don't make it that easy to know which version to download and they're updating it all the time. Like daily!

Download the version that looks happiest for you and if you have any probs. and nobody else answers, PM me ([email protected]) and I'll try to help you find the best version.  I've never used it personally but I understand GitHub!

Yours respectfully

Chris.