Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: 2 mg available on an 80 mg drive  (Read 1915 times)

stumble

Topic Starter

Beginner

• me(mother) and my daughter (left)
  • Experience: Experienced
2 mg available on an 80 mg drive
« on: February 12, 2006, 04:02:03 PM »
[size=18]I don't know what my husband did but when he loaded XP onto his new 80 mg drive he ended up with 2 mg of useable hard drive.

Is there any way I can fix this without starting all over?  

Sandy   :-/[/size]

GX1_Man

Re: 2 mg available on an 80 mg drive
« Reply #1 on: February 12, 2006, 05:10:23 PM »
We need to know what he did. How much free space was on it before? What O/S was on it before? Does it still work? Look around for large files. Is WinXP in add/Remove programs? you might get lucky and be able to uninstall that way.

Put him on here.  :o :o :o

Pavane

Re: 2 mg available on an 80 mg drive
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 08:57:35 AM »
I don't know what my husband did but when he loaded XP onto his new 80 GB drive he ended up with 2 MG of useable hard drive.

Is there any way I can fix this without starting all over?  

Sandy

Sound like he bought an 80 [highlight]GB[/highlight] drive and partitioned it with fdisk forgetting to Enable large drive support, which will only give you a 2 GB drive space, instead of using the XP CD.

You will have to start from scratch. Delete the present partition(s) and do NOT use fdisk for partitioning the drive.

80 GB (Metric) is  74.5058059692 GB Binary which gives you 76293 MB to partition.

I am using a 10240 MB drive C: which is exactly 10 GB.

You only have to make this one partition and then do the installation. You can make further partitions using XP's Disk Management once XP is installed.

Disconnect your modem when installing and only reconnect when you have your anti-virus program installed.

Update your anti-virus and run a full scan before updating the operating system or adding any other programs.

You will find examples on the INFO PAGE link below.
« Last Edit: February 15, 2006, 03:40:48 AM by Pavane »