Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Playing games  (Read 3612 times)

fitz6

Playing games
« on: February 13, 2006, 06:53:41 AM »
Hi,

Not really sure if this is the right place to post - I don't really have much of a clue what I'm doing with computers. I've had a Dell Dimension for about a year and a half, about a month ago I reinstalled XP. I could only get the CD and DVD player on the cd drive thing (samsung cdrw/dvd sm-352f ) to work and it wouldn't recognise games - the screen froze every time I put one in the drawer. I downloaded the driver from the dell website for the samsung cdrw/dvd sm-352f and it worked fine for about two weeks before the same thing happening again. This time I've tried to download the driver again, and although it seems to install it doesn't fix the problem of not being able to run games. If anyone could help, I'd be very grateful, I'm experiencing football manager withdrawl symptoms  :-/

GX1_Man

Re: Playing games
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 02:55:40 PM »
Did you get this machine new? What model? What is the service tag for the machine? (It should be on the side of the case). Do you have any spyware/adware/virus protecion in place and being used? Do you have a shiny Windows CD if you should need to reinstall?

T-Chai

« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 03:05:21 PM »
try some Dianose test see if the software can detect your problem
http://www.freshdevices.com/freshdiag.html

GX1_Man

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 06:02:52 PM »
Yeah the computer was new about a year and a half ago and the guarentee's run out now. it's a dell dimension 4600, service tag 55277-OEM-0011903-00102.

The service tag should be 5-6 digits on the outside of the case, or in the BIOS setup (F2 on boot)