Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: outlook express  (Read 2910 times)

harrylongstroke411

outlook express
« on: February 07, 2006, 03:59:19 AM »
does anybody know how to set up a gmail account, or a yahoo account, or hotmail account (i belive theyre similar, none are webmail) in the settings for outlook?  i just need the settings for the server to connect to and any other pertinent info (i dont remember what else outlook looks for)

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
    • Yes
  • Certifications: List
  • Experience: Guru
Re: outlook express
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 06:35:43 AM »
Yahoo, unless you have the premium package, does not allow POP access. Hotmail and Gmail allow it for free. In Gmail, log-in, go to Settings, Click on Forwarding and POP, and choose your configuration options there. NExt, we will pull server information. On the same page as you are on now, click on Configuration Instructions, select your mail client, and follow the instructions provided. I'm not exactly sure about using Hotmail with POP access... I will research this for you and return soon.

Flame

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
    « Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 07:45:35 AM »
    Hotmail was free...and as soon as understood it's fault and stopped free pop service. How could Microsoft do this?
    Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

Flame

• Prodigy

• Think, dream, see, be... Everything.
      • Yes
    • Certifications: List
    • Experience: Guru
    « Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 09:46:22 AM »
    As usual, Bill saw the $$$$$$$$ ...

Flame

harrylongstroke411

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:58:03 PM »
    thanks for your help guys

i still havent been able to get the gmail to work with pop/outlook express.  ive followed your directions and when i clik on test config settings on outlook, it wont send or receive emails.  am i missing a step?  im following the gmail walk thru and using its settings for outlook to the 't', and ive deduced its something im missing, or perhaps a norton preventive measure i should turn off?

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      « Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 12:08:27 AM »
      Have a look at this link:
      http://mail.google.com/support/bin/answer.py?answer=13276&topic=1555
      Then make use you have not checked the box Log on Using Secure Password Authentication (SPA) under Servers tab because gmail doesn't support. And make sure POP (465) and SMTP (995) under Advanced tab which are different from default ones...And check the both boxes saying This server requires a secure connectin (SSL)...

harrylongstroke411

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 01:36:18 AM »
      thanks for offering your help, again im feeling like a total dunce here.

i followed everything youve said (including downloading the executable file from gmail) to configure my email.  still no luck.  ive started from scratch to ensure that nothing is deviant from the directions.

the errors im getting are

1 send test email message, the specified server was found, but there was no response from teh server
      2  log into incoming mail server, the specified server was found, but no response.  please
      3  log onto incoming mail server  same message
      4  find incoming mail server, unable to connect to the incoming mail server.  please verify the server name int he incoming mail server field.  if that field is correct, click more settings and verify the port and ssl info (i did)
      5  find outgoing mail server, same

any help?  maybe its a problem with my outlook?  its outlook 2002 sp3?  are there settings preventing me from doing this that is program specific?

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
        « Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 01:09:52 PM »
        Contact to your ISP and ask them about it...

GX1_Man

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 04:46:17 PM »
        Microsoft is just like a pusher. The first one is always free.    :o

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
          « Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 11:28:56 PM »
          Microsoft is just like a pusher. The first one is always free.    :o
          Their policy is: people use it (free one) and will get addicted to "HIGH" quality MS products and even when they will not be free and cost *censored* of money they'll continue using it...
          Instead people immediately leave the S***... :D and get a free better one.