Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Task bar icons are wrong after reboot.  (Read 63662 times)

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

• Experience: Experienced
    Task bar icons are wrong after reboot.
    « on: May 16, 2022, 04:17:00 PM »
    Task bar icons are wrong after reboot.

I rebooted my Win 7 PC yesterday, and all my task bar icons are not what they should be.

In my over 50 years of working the computers(started in '72 on an IBM 360), I've never seen anything like this.

I had 10 task bar pinned programs(with their correct icons)...after the reboot, all 10 pinned programs were still there, except they all had the wrong icons. When I hovered over the icon, the name of the program would appear above it(so I know what program it is).

I was able to 'fix' 5 of them by un-pinning the program, and re-running it, then pinning it back(with the correct icon).

But, for 5 of the programs, that didn't work. For example my Windows Explorer had a Chrome icon(fixed). The ones I can't seem to fix are:

Windows Media Player shows my burning software icon,

my LView image program shows a Firefox icon,

another version of LView shows a Windows Media Player icon,   

my control panel shows a JDownloader icon

my wordpad shows a Nvidia icon

Any ideas of what would have caused this, and how to fix the icons to what they should be?

Thanks!   

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: Task bar icons are wrong after reboot.
    « Reply #1 on: May 17, 2022, 05:25:54 AM »
    Try clearing the icon cache and see if that helps:

1) Manual method: https://www.windowscentral.com/how-reset-icon-cache-database-windows-10

2) Easy method: Download & install Winaero Tweaker (https://winaero.com/download-winaero-tweaker/), on the left side go to "Tools" and then "Reset Icon Cache"

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #2 on: May 17, 2022, 03:25:45 PM »
      Thanks for the fast response. I did that...nothing's changed. Is there a way to 'refresh' the task bar, or do I need to reboot?

Allan

• Mastermind
      « Reply #3 on: May 18, 2022, 05:16:33 AM »
      No, no way to refresh the taskbar. Rebooting is always a good idea when you run into an anomaly such as yours.

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #4 on: May 18, 2022, 01:17:51 PM »
        Rebooted, and a new icon cache file was created...but nothing's changed...task bar icons are still wrong. Do I need to change each one manually? I tried that before, and it wouldn't 'take'.

tkmops

Topic Starter

Beginner

« Reply #5 on: May 18, 2022, 04:14:01 PM »
          Two more things to address...not only are my task bar icons not right, they are also wrong in the start menu...BUT, they are correct in Task Mgr. Weird!

Allan

• Mastermind
          « Reply #6 on: May 19, 2022, 08:54:57 AM »
          Well, at this point I'm guessing but I'd suggest running a full scan with BOTH your installed AV and with MalwareBytes.

Hopefully you have a backup disk image recently created that you can restore. If not, shame on you ;)