Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Computer can not boot because of BIOS Virus  (Read 2816 times)

brian

Computer can not boot because of BIOS Virus
« on: February 16, 2006, 09:27:24 AM »
My computer got BIOS virus and my computer just cannot be booted up. Here is the story of my computer:

I have a debranded HP Pavilion A450n computer. My computer is running window 2000. I didn’t install Antivirus software. My computer always was frozen and I just shut down and reboot. It seems OK. One day, I turned on the power and I just see the black screen. My CPU fan is running.

I swap Video card, Memory Chip with good one. My computer power is on but just black screen. I reset jumper to clear CMOS. I even swap the battery in the motherboard. It didn't work.

I swap my hard disk with my friend hard disk. Because my 4 years old son put a floppy disk in the floppy drive, when I power on the computer, I suddenly see the blue screen, it ask me which drive you want boot from: floppy, hard disk, or CD ROM, I select default. I was so excited and just swap back gain my old Hard disk. When I power on, just see the black screen again. My friend swap back his hard disk, his clone computer immediately told him he got virus and his boot record is corrupted. My friend reformat his computer and reinstall. It seems OK. I just realize I got very bad virus which stay in my motherboard. Then I do virus check about my hard disk in another computer through USB external hard disk connection. My hard disk boot record is corrupted. So I image install window operating system and it is OK to boot up. I swap back my clean hard disk. The computer is powered on and I just see the black screen.

I just feel this virus can remember hard disk whenever the disk is corrupted. So I borrow a used hard disk from my company. This time, I insert window 98 bootable disk and window 98 bootable CD ROM. I swap the hard disk. I turn on the power. I still see the black screen. I open and close CD-ROM several times. Suddenly I see the blue screen which ask me which drive I want to boot from. I select from CD-ROM. I tried to install window 98. The set up disk told me there is OS/2 operating system installed. I boot again from floppy. From floppy disk, I run some DOS program try to clean bootable virus. I also download updated BIOS version and tried to run from DOS, but that BIOS updated program is window-based program. I cannot update from DOS. I can decide to install window 98 anyway. After filled registration key, I got fatal error message and I didn’t finish the installation. I reboot the computer again, I do fix installation. But I only see the dos prompt in the CD-Rom drive. I try to reboot my computer again. I power on the computer and I only see the black screen. I cannot boot the computer anymore. I did virus check the hard disk I borrowed from my computer didn’t have virus.

I totally lost. I don’t know how to get rid of this virus. This virus stay in flash memory of my motherboard and it can remember infected hard disk.

Please help me figure out the problems. Thanks a lot anyway.

Rob Pomeroy

Prodigy

• Systems Architect
    • Me
  • Experience: Expert
Re: Computer can not boot because of BIOS Virus
« Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:49:26 AM »
There's no such thing as a BIOS/motherboard virus.  You have faulty hardware.  You may also have a virus.
Only able to visit the forums sporadically, sorry.

Geek & Dummy - honest news, reviews and howtos

brian

Re: Computer can not boot because of BIOS Virus
« Reply #2 on: February 16, 2006, 11:53:29 AM »
I don't think it is the hardware problem. If the hardware problem, how come sometimes it can boot and infect other hard disk?