Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: AT-KEY NOT WORKING  (Read 17435 times)

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
    AT-KEY NOT WORKING
    « on: August 11, 2022, 01:08:46 AM »
     THE AT KEY DOSNT WORK SO I STRUGGLE TO GET ON SITE . ALSO MY D-DRIVE IS EMPTY. I DONT KNOW WHY AS FAR  AS I REMEMBER I HAVNT DONE ANYTHING TO IT .I JUST LOOKED AT IT ONE DAY AND RELISED THERE WAS NOTHING THERE.  I THOUGHT MAYBE IT IS THIS THATS CAUSING THE PROBLEM. I GOOGLED THE PROBLEM OF MY KEYBOARD AND WAS TOLD TO GO  TO MY STTINS FIND KEYBOARD AND UNINSTALL THE DRIVERS THEN REINSTALL THEM. BUT THERE IS NOTHING THER SO I CANT' REINSTALL THEM. I SEEM TO BE GETTING DEEPER IN ,
    TROUBLE SO I THOUGHT I WOULD LEAVE IT TO THE EXPERTS.

PLEASE SOMBODY  HELP.

Allan

• Mastermind
    • Experience: Guru
    Re: AT-KEY NOT WORKING
    « Reply #1 on: August 11, 2022, 09:48:47 AM »
    Apparently the caps lock key works though.

I assume you mean "@" doesn't work, correct? Just the one key? If so, does the "2" key work (lower case "@")? If not, remove the key cap and see if there is anything preventing the key from traveling normally. If not, try a different keyboard and see if it works properly. If you have the same problem on a second keyboard, you can check to make sure "sticky keys" is not enabled. Other than that, I'm not sure what to say. As a stopgap, you can use the on-screen keyboard until you get the mechanical keyboard situation resolved.
    As for D Drive, what IS D drive? Is it a partition or a separate HD? Data doesn't just disappear - how do you know the drive is empty?

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
      « Reply #2 on: August 12, 2022, 01:26:03 AM »

Morning Allan, firstly i have two hard drives. one is a SSD the other isn't'. i don't know which i which , but on the empty one i checked properties and there is  463 gb free of 464gb.
        and if i go to disk cleanup it tells me i can cleanup 0 bytes  so i am thinking that indicates it is empty.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
        « Reply #3 on: August 12, 2022, 04:45:23 AM »

thanks again , you've cracked it i clicked the shift key and then the 2 key and up came the AT- SIGN so i can now go on emails.

Allan

• Mastermind
        « Reply #4 on: August 12, 2022, 05:35:31 AM »
        I'm guessing the ssd is your boot / system drive - that's the standard configuration. What WAS on your other HD? Do you backup your system regularly? As I said, data doesn't just vanish on its own - something happened. Either the drive was formatted or the data manually erased.

Go to START - RUN - diskmgmt.msc (ENTER)

What does it show for your d: drive?

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
          « Reply #5 on: August 13, 2022, 03:33:51 AM »

Morning Allan. i cant send you a screen shot because most of my apps have disappeared. excuse the small text. that goes every time i turn off my pc. so i  just leave it.

ran diskmgmt. this is the result.  disk 0 (disk d)  (in black) basic 465.76gb   284 mb unallocated.

in blue  464.76gb  ntfs healthy(primary partition.

in black 1.33 unallocated.        hope that means something to you, it's alien to me.

thanks for sticking with me.

ivanoe

Topic Starter

Hopeful
            « Reply #6 on: August 17, 2022, 04:15:12 AM »

i want to thank you all for your help. the problem alas as not been solved . it looks like a software file recovery program.  if that doesn't work a new pc. cant think of anything else.

but again Thanks.

Allan

• Mastermind
            « Reply #7 on: August 17, 2022, 05:53:06 AM »
            Perhaps you can take a photo of the diskmgmt screen and upload it. What you posted isn't very clear to me - it seems to show only one disk. Life would be much easier if you created backup images on a regular basis.