Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: domain or workgroup  (Read 5482 times)

petmonkey5

domain or workgroup
« on: February 16, 2006, 08:01:34 PM »
why is it in windows 2000 if you have a domain set up and you change it to a workgroup you kill the os basically?? I'm serious cause I tried safe mode and safe mode with networking nothing i just want some help to understand what happened in this instance so that i dont repeat it.

viking

Adviser
  • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
    Re: domain or workgroup
    « Reply #1 on: February 16, 2006, 11:05:20 PM »
    I don't know what are you talking about. I haven't had this problem.

T-Chai

« Reply #2 on: February 17, 2006, 05:32:25 AM »
    If you want to understand we r not going to explain sos
    Google
    YEah viking i dont what he is talking about  :-?

petmonkey5

« Reply #3 on: February 17, 2006, 07:46:49 AM »
    ok let me explain in windows 2000 you can be part of a domain and if you changed it to be a part of a workgroup you lose your username and password and so in order to correct it you have reinstall the os so it basically kills the os and i want some understanding of why it happens like that. generally you will only encounter this problem if you try to do file and print sharing.

Mystik1982

« Reply #4 on: February 17, 2006, 10:37:47 AM »
    Is the computer actually part of a domain?  If so then yes taking it out of the domain would get rid of the domain user name and password.  In that case you would have to use a local username and password.  Like the administrator account.  You may also have to change it to log into the workgroup and not the domain.

To get your username and password back re-join the domain that you left.  Then you should be able to log into that machine using your domain username and password.

Other than that I don't see what your problem would be.

petmonkey5

« Reply #5 on: February 17, 2006, 12:33:59 PM »
    um that would be nice if using the admin log worked!!

Peccavi

Adviser

• Hope Helps!
      « Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 02:24:07 PM »
      Your user configuration is stored on the Server rather than local computer. So when you return to the workgroup you get disconnected from the server and lose all the information stored on the server. In Domain you don't have much to do with local users...
      Computer Hope: Rise of the Machines!

petmonkey5

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 02:26:48 PM »
      still doesnt explain it it sounds greek to me.

Mystik1982

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 04:56:48 PM »
      Ok when you are logging in and you are at the log in screen where you put your username and password in.  Look around for a second.  You may have to hit the options button but there should be another place.  Make sure you're logging into the workgroup.  Then use the local administrator account.

If it's still set to log into the domain then it won't work.

Once you get logged in you should re-join the domain.

Re-joining the domain,
      1) Right Click "My Computer" at the Windows 2000 Professional Station and select "Properties"
      2) Select the Network Identification Tab and click Properties.
      3) In the Member of Section shown below, click the Domain box and type in the domain you wish to join and Click OK.
      4) You will be prompted to enter a user name and password from the server that has permissions to join computers to the domain. (use the servers administrator user name and password). You may be prompted to reboot the client .

petmonkey5

« Reply #9 on: February 17, 2006, 08:30:53 PM »
      like i said the admin account did not work and so i have no idea what i did wrong on that system never trust me to enable file and print sharing...even though i work for dell....although this screw up happened on my own computer...still do not trust me....recommend going to file and print sharing websites for that otherwise ill make a mess out of a computer.

viking

Adviser
      • miaow-miaow 2.0 for networks
        « Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 07:18:15 AM »
        For leaving or joining a domain you need some advanced user rights. And at least local administrator rights. Are you a local administrator for your computer? Also, for enabling file and printer sharing you need administrator credentials (local account, local administrator for that computer).
        When you leave a domain (and join a workgroup), you may only use local users accounts (users that do not need to use credentials from a server to log on). Long story...   Of course, if you know the account password.
        It is your home computer? Or it is a work computer? If it is from work, talk with the network administrator (he will tell you some nasty things, he will reproach you...), he should be able to solve your problem.