Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: My laptops all delete external hard drive names!!  (Read 6684 times)

tenerifediver

Topic Starter

• Experience: Familiar
    My laptops all delete external hard drive names!!
    « on: October 08, 2022, 07:46:17 AM »
    Ok, after 9 days of effing about, a call for help!
    I have 10 external drives (Toshiba, WD, Tuoro, Samsung) all with films, music and training material. All were labelled - Tosh 1, Sammy 2, etc. All working fine for years. But then a week or so ago, all the names disappeared and just show drive letter! Except in Disk Management where the names are all there!
    I've tried EVERYTHING! Formatting (full) and renaming via Explorer and Disk management. No change
    Changing drive letters - No change
    Renewing partition - No change
    Checking ownership - No change
    Antivirus sweeps (Panda and Malwarebytes) - Nothing.
    The weird thing is, I have 3 laptops and they are all doing the same thing!!!! It's almost like all the HDDs have been "locked" for name change!
    I am now desperate.
    Any guru's out there with a solution?
    Thanks

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: My laptops all delete external hard drive names!!
    « Reply #1 on: October 08, 2022, 07:36:21 PM »
    Show hidden files and check for an autorun.inf or autorun.ini files on those drives. Don't see how those would survive a reformat, but if you are copying files from it, formatting, and copying them back it could be included in the data that way.

If a label is specified in the autorun.inf file it will override any actual volume label for the drive for display in explorer. This include a blank label being set, I believe.

I won't even pretend to know how it might have been created. Many of my external drives have an autorun.inf file on them and I certainly never created it, though they are blank. I suspect some driver software updates might actually apply an autorun.inf in order to set the icon for flash drives and external drives; so a Windows update could conceivably install for example some WD software and that will add an autorun.inf that sets the icon and label as a "WD Passport" drive.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.