Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: HOW TO UNINSTALL IE 7 BETA 2 (Windows XP)  (Read 3220 times)

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
    HOW TO UNINSTALL IE 7 BETA 2 (Windows XP)
    « on: February 12, 2006, 09:26:59 PM »
    This nightmare-ish browser has done it again. It caused severe problems.

As you may know, I couldn't get onto MSN or Visual Studio after the upgrade to IE 7. After a week of searching, I have finally found the answer.

If you have IE 7 and want to go back, follow these instructions:

1: Go to Start > Control Panel > Add/Remove Programs.

2: At the top of the Add/Remove Programs screen there is a checkbox. The checkbox reads, "Show Updates". Check it, and a list of updates will appear in the list. Scroll down to near/at the bottom, and the infamous IE 7 will be there. Click 'Remove'.

3: You will be prompted that a ton of programs will no longer work. Ignore that warning, and click Yes to continue.

4: Click Finish. You will need to restart the computer.

When Windows re-loads, it will be gone, and IE 6 or whatever you had before will be there.

A couple of notes:

I. This has only been tested on Windows XP. I do not have any other Operating Systems, and you may need to look to find that option mentioned above. I don't know. If this is available on other OS's, please post where for future reference.

II. This is the ONLY way to remove this accursed beta. I have tried every other concievable method I can think of. If, by some quirk, there is another way, please post that, but I doubt there will be another method.

Well, there. I hope this helps some other poor frustrated end-user who got schiested by Microsoft with this browser. I still say FireFox is better, but hey, I need to get into my Visual Studio, not to mention my Email...
    "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

soybean

Genius
    • The first soybean ever to learn the computer.
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Experienced
    Re: HOW TO UNINSTALL IE 7 BETA 2 (Windows XP)
    « Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 08:42:33 AM »
    You mentioned email.  Do you use OE for email?  If so, how did the installation of IE 7 beta affect OE?  In other words, does OE get upgraded along with IE, as it has in the past with previous versions of IE?  I recall reading somewhere that OE would no longer be bundled with IE.  So, that's really what I'm wondering about.

Dilbert

Topic Starter

• Egghead

• Welcome to ComputerHope!
      « Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 04:19:05 PM »
      I use MSN for Email. When I 'up'graded to IE 7, MSN and Visual Studio both said, "This program requires Internet Explorer 6 or greater. Please update Internet Explorer, blah blah blah". Well, I couldn't install 6 because it said "A newer version is detected and Setup will now close". I had to get rid of IE 7 first. I finally figured out how after stumping people at three forums, and this is how. :)
      "The geek shall inherit the Earth."

rockerest

Hopeful
        • Yes
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 06:47:06 PM »
      Thunderbird for email is great....I've got it downloading email from four different accounts....
      In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
      Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
      Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.