Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: unable to view a "pdf" web page  (Read 3300 times)

daccs

unable to view a "pdf" web page
« on: February 18, 2006, 11:40:17 PM »
when i attempt to view some web sites, i get a blank browser window with the word "done" located at the bottom left corner of the browser window indicating that my action was completed (same results using firefox or windows' internet explorer).

i've viewed the "options" and "preferences" selections in the browsers, to no avail.  i also viewed my internet connections via the control panel, but coulde not resolve my problem.

as an example, i get a blank browser window when trying to access the following website:
http://www.irs.gov/pub/irs-utl/2003_pub_1066_module6.pdf

thanx in advance...

dl65

• R.I.P.

• Prodigy

Re: unable to view a "pdf" web page
    « Reply #1 on: February 18, 2006, 11:50:53 PM »
     daccs.....  You require ADOBE Reader to be able to display pdf

http://www.download-it-free.com/acrobat/    

This should resolve your issue.

dl65  ::)
    If you don't know the answer, it isn't a dumb question.

Fed

• Sage
      • Experience: Experienced
      « Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 12:53:04 AM »
      I've found foxit to be much better than the adobe virus.
      http://www.foxitsoftware.com/pdf/rd_intro.php
      You should try it DL65.

rockerest

Hopeful
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: February 20, 2006, 05:59:12 PM »
      daccs......If you are using Firefox, there is no way besides changing the default action to open the file in the reader rather than the webpage.  I spent a couple of hours with Firefox savvy people on the mozilla IRC channel attempting to figure out what was wrong, but we never did....

If you want to change the default action to "open" instead of "display" do this:
      Click Tools>Options>Downloads>"Veiw & Edit Actions"

Scroll down to the PDF section and click it
      Click "Change Action"
      Set it to however you want.  Obviously, "use this plugin" won't work, so you'll probably want to use "open with this application" and select your Adobe Reader.
      In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
      Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
      Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Xeratul

• 100,000th poster

• Hopeful
      • Experience: Familiar
      « Reply #4 on: February 20, 2006, 08:22:58 PM »
      The adobe virus, Aye?
      « Last Edit: February 20, 2006, 08:28:20 PM by Wraith112 »

rockerest

Hopeful
        • Yes
      « Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 11:59:23 PM »
      Yup, only happened when I upgraded, though, only up from 7.0.1 to 7.0.3 or something like that, but it is totally incompatible with Fx.  It's too bad.  Worked well until then.
      In general, the PEBKAC.  Whether it's now or was three weeks ago, the PEBKAC.
      Unsafe browsing and general computer / internet illiteracy IS the users problem.  Don't have sex if you don't know how to use a condom.
      Also, there are 10 types of people in the world, those who understand binary, and those who don't.