Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: Delete volume from hd normal?  (Read 22066 times)

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

• Experience: Familiar
    Delete volume from hd normal?
    « on: March 13, 2023, 05:39:20 PM »
    I came across a youtube demo of how to install win 10 and etc on a new SSD hd. When it came to setup the SSD hd, he went to Disc management. He showed 2 existing hd's, one with C drive and the other for storage. Then he showed on D M. his new installed SSD hd. In order to continue with the installation, he clicked on each of his hd's and deleted the volume. So i gather this is another way to make sure that when your installing windows, you don't have to uplug the installed hd's, just delete the volume. He says your not actually deleting the hd, and after you install windows on the SSD, you can undo the deleted volumes. He doesn't say or show how to 'revive' those HD's, or possibly I did not understand. Does anyone here ever heard of this? I am desparate to try this, cause i have had bad luck installing win 10 the so called easy way with Media creation tool. Of course he was using the M C T with full updates for the installation of Win 10.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
    • My first real computer
      • Yes
    • Experience: Expert
    Re: Delete volume from hd normal?
    « Reply #1 on: March 14, 2023, 04:45:13 PM »
    Hi

Why would anyone suggest deleting a Volume. Just don't do it period.
    If you are unable to install windows 10 from a pen drive made with the  Media creation tool then there is something not correct with the way the new drive is installed.
    Can you post the make and model of computer or the motherboard make and model.
    The drives currently installed and what drive you are installing as the new windows drive.

Instead of disconnecting drives you can disable a drive in the bios. Under SATA mode there is normally the option to disable, note the SATA mode type so when windows is installed  you can re enable the drive with the correct mode.

You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
    ― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #2 on: March 14, 2023, 05:05:35 PM »
      The computer is a build and the motherboard is Asus A88X-Pro. There is only one drive now and its win 7 with a SSD drive. I did have win 10 only when the first updates were offered to us and worked just fine, until windows crashed with their latest update. As for that youtube demo....as you know users leave comments and all of them thanked him for they followed his instructions and these are not phony comments...there is nothing for them to gain by lying. Even Google says your not actually deleting the drive by deleting the volume. Glad to hear about disabling in the Bios...was getting bored unpluging my C drive each time i tried to install win 10.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
      • My first real computer
        • Yes
      « Reply #3 on: March 14, 2023, 07:13:25 PM »
      Hi

Checking the manual for your motherboard you would need the new drive plugged into SATA 1-4 ports. Ports 5-8 need drivers loaded for windows to install also it should be set to achi mode . See the quote from the manual 

While the computer is running Windows 7. I would use the Asus tool to update the bios. The last Bios I could find was Version 2603 from 8/4/2016

Also download the  Windows 10 Drivers to a folder to install when you have windows 10 installed. 
      You have not lived today until you have done something for someone who can never repay you.”
      ― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #4 on: March 15, 2023, 08:00:54 AM »
        My build with that aSUS UPDATE bIOS WAS created at that date 2016, April. When i went to asus site and asked for Bios upgrade they responded i had the latest one;

Lisa_maree

Mentor
        • My first real computer
          • Yes
        « Reply #5 on: March 15, 2023, 02:40:24 PM »
        Hi
        The suggestion of checking for a Bios update was because an earlier bios could have been causing problems installing the latest updates for Windows 10. You have done the check so thank you.

Could you setup the computer ready to take windows 10 with the new drive attached.
        Then run Speccy from here   https://www.ccleaner.com/speccy

Run the program and select :file then publish snapshot. you will get a url link which if you copy to your next post will allow us to check the setup for Windows 10 .

― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #6 on: March 15, 2023, 05:53:31 PM »
          I forgot how to upload here.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
          • My first real computer
            • Yes
          « Reply #7 on: March 15, 2023, 06:46:12 PM »
          Just copy the URL. Don't copy parts of the report doing so may copy personnel information which we don't need need.
          The web report has all the personnel information removed.
          ― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #8 on: March 16, 2023, 08:11:39 AM »
            I made a Speecy screenshot but have no idea on how to create a url out of it....of course in win 7 i easily can make a system file with almost the same or more results.

Lisa_maree

Mentor
            • My first real computer
              • Yes
            « Reply #9 on: March 17, 2023, 06:15:02 PM »
            You run Speccy

Select file
            Then publish Report
            Copy URL
            ― John Bunyan

Lisa_maree

Mentor
            • My first real computer
              • Yes
            « Reply #10 on: March 17, 2023, 06:19:39 PM »
            Also the Speccy report will show us the status of the hard drives, I want to check the drive you are installing  Windows 10 to is not locked or frozen.
            ― John Bunyan

Novel8

Topic Starter

Intermediate

« Reply #11 on: March 18, 2023, 05:55:48 AM »
              http://speccy.piriform.com/results/EDoLxNVMtiE0lQWjSk3RZAb

Being i was not having any success installing win 10 on a ssd drive, i was attempting on my sata drive and that is what you will see. The new ssd is not installed as of now.