Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: wireless doesn't work  (Read 1921 times)

associates

Topic Starter

Intermediate
  • I love YaBB 1G - SP1!
    wireless doesn't work
    « on: February 22, 2006, 04:34:17 AM »
    Hi All,

I was wondering if anyone would be able to help me out here.

I have a HP laptop (model: Pavilion ze4300) and it's running on XP Pro. Just lately, i'd like to connect it to the network wirelessly and it doesn't work. Well, not exactly.

This is what happens
    I use a wireless card, Netgear WG511T and a Netgear Access Point in the network. Before i installed it, i read the manual saying i have to install the driver first before plugging in the card to the laptop and i did it.
    It worked fine once the driver has been installed and the card plugged in plus all the setting/configuration set up correctly. Now,  because i want it to be secure, i use the WEP encryption and set the key up. It worked beautifully and more importantly, the encryption was enabled (i saw this via the network connection under control panel). Then, i restarted the computer just to check that it can reconnect itself to the network wirelessly. I realised that the encryption was disabled after rebooting the computer then i checked the netgear wireless card utility there, there is a key there, and i don't understand why it by itself turn the encryption off and obviously i was unable to connect to the internet because it's not connected to the access point.

Then, i retyped the key in and press "apply" button. It took ages to acquire network address (IP) before it died by showing limited connectivity.

It'd work if uninstalling and re-installing it back (i mean the driver) but failed to work after rebooting the computer. BTW, i have also made sure that i saved the profile when configuring the wireless setting on the card.

Any ideas? Your help is greatly appreciated.