Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: YouTube - A Stretched Advert  (Read 1350 times)

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
    • Experience: Familiar
    YouTube - A Stretched Advert
    « on: May 23, 2024, 06:55:07 AM »
    I do have a screenshot, but let me see if I can explain with words only.

Today, JST, I ran into a YouTube page that had a company's advert stretched from left to right with maybe 10 repeats of the little box advert we usually see at the top of the page as a first "post" above the selection of related YouTube videos.

I had never seen such a style on YouTube before and I sense this sort of allowed action by 'Google' is a sort of greed marker.

Yes, it is possible this was that company's idea from their marketing section, but I think the idea should not have been approved by whatever 'Google' manager was required to sign off on that advert.

Actually, I better show you what I saw:

EDIT: By "that company's idea" I do not mean 'Google'. I mean the company the advert was for. Oh yes, and I use the style 'Google' because I am not so sure if that name is proper to use now, as they have some new name, yes?
    « Last Edit: May 23, 2024, 07:06:27 AM by MichaelNyby »

BC_Programmer

Mastermind
    • Typing is no substitute for thinking.
      • Yes
      • Yes
      • BC-Programming.com
    • Certifications: List
    • Computer: Specs
    • Experience: Beginner
    Re: YouTube - A Stretched Advert
    « Reply #1 on: May 24, 2024, 07:41:56 PM »
    I would first suspect that Seamonkey could be missing implementations for some CSS attributes or other implementations that are being used. Not sure if the ad elements can be HTML/CSS elements on their own but if so it might be using something taht is newer or only works in Chrome.
    I was trying to dereference Null Pointers before it was cool.

MichaelNyby

Topic Starter

Beginner
      • Experience: Familiar
      Re: YouTube - A Stretched Advert
      « Reply #2 on: May 26, 2024, 01:25:53 AM »
      Funny how an old brain works sometimes; your post reminded me of a thread from last year. Well, I couldn't remember at first it was from last year, but went looking around in my files and sure enough, found it.

http://forums.mozillazine.org/viewtopic.php?t=3110069

I'm going to have to do some further studying about that idea, but I also would like to emphasize that I have never seen that happen before on this unit with the SeaMonkey browser. And that morning I spent a number of hours on some research so I went and grabbed some data stored about the number of times I accessed YouTube that day and I'll show you with an attachment.

I'm obviously intending to push this one and eventually will go after Google. They already know me as a pain in the neck, so no point in disappointing the new employees there. Been a few years since my last back-and-forth with any of them. In fact, even the special group we used to have seems to have broken up.

But I'm going to study your thoughts before I go further with this. It could very well not be related to any sort of system input at the Google end.