Welcome guest. Before posting on our computer help forum, you must register. Click here it's easy and free.

Author Topic: start-up problem-missing or corrupt file  (Read 2737 times)

angela22

start-up problem-missing or corrupt file
« on: February 22, 2006, 06:16:26 PM »
I had a babysitter at my home yesterday and I noticed that my computer was turned off when I got home (which is unusual because she uses the computer for her school work/internet searches). Now my computer will not boot (not sure if correct term??) correctly. The screen shows the following:
Windows could not start because the following file is missing or corrupt:
 \WINDOWS\SYSTEM32\CONFIG\SYSTEM

The computer is about 5-6 years old. Not sure if I even have the correct start-up disks for this thing. Any help on repairing this thing would be greatly appreciated.

pcdoc4christ

Re: start-up problem-missing or corrupt file
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 04:44:52 PM »
Angela:

SYSTEM is a registry hive which Windows needs to start and run.  You will have to reinstall Windows.  Let us know if you need help doing so.

Best regards,
Doc

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 07:55:00 PM »
See here...

One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.

angela22

« Reply #3 on: February 25, 2006, 04:26:45 PM »
You guys are GENIUS! Thank you so much for the help! Using the information you sent me, I was able to repair my computer back to it's normal state. All my pictures (including the dirty ones my babysitter was apparently trying to erase when she caused my computer to go crazy) and documents are retrievable. Not so lucky with some of my programs (iTunes, Turbo Tax, Norton Internet Security, etc.).

Is there a way to retrieve my 2005 tax information? All of my desktop icons are visible; however, when I try to open the program it reads: "Your configuration has been modified [pri.inj, startup]. Please re-install" The same issues with my Norton Internet Security and ITunes/ipod. I don't want to reinstall these programs if there is a way that I can restore without losing my information.  Thank Again!

Dusty

Egghead

• I could if she would, but she won't so I don't.
  • Experience: Beginner
« Reply #4 on: February 25, 2006, 07:13:05 PM »
Angela22 - I would like to say "go to your backup" but I guess that would be superfluous.

Before attempting any re-install of TurboTax (of which I have no experience) or any other prog, can your tax files be seen by any prog such as Explorer or using Dir in the Command Prompt window or by doing a Search for the file names/suffixes or any other program you can think of:-?    If they can be found then they can probably be copied for backup to a cd or floppy, if your pc has such things.  If your files have been deleted either to the Recycle Bin or using Shift+Del then you may still be able to recover them.  If they are simply not accessible that's another matter.

Please advise some details of your pc such as Operating System (I have been assuming XP) and whether you have a cd burner and  burning prog installed (such as Nero or Kerio) and whether you have a diskette drive.  Also whether or not your System Restore feature is enabled.

Whatever, do [highlight]not[/highlight][/b] install anything on your hard drive until we have exhausted all efforts to recover files.

Edit.1: Since posting above have done bit of searching and this is just one of the TurboTax pages

Edit.2: Here is the TurboTax forum, you might like to register/login and post your problem there.  Don't forget to give some details of your Operating System, TurboTax version and post the entire error message you get.  Someone on the forum may have the answer to the question "If I reinstall TurboTax will I lose data files?"

Edit.3: I note on the forum that there is the suggestion to update & install the latest TurboTax version so I [highlight]guess[/highlight][/b] that this would not be promoted if a new install would cripple data files.  Hmmmm!

Good luck & please let us know how you get on..
« Last Edit: February 25, 2006, 07:41:00 PM by Dusty »
One good deed is worth more than a year of good intentions.